TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: how to waterproof a baja.....any ideas?
DanGreen Thu Feb 12, 2004 2:11 am

I know they make a "waterproofing kit" for the coil and distributor but I baught that and the one for the coil didnt fit too well. As for the distributor, I havent used that one yet because I'm waiting to buy an electronic ignition, once I've got it I'll install it and seal off the distributor for good. It's made to fit the 009 from the looks of it.

When a vw goes through a small lake or deep water in general where does the most water leek in from? I've got one idea that might work for sealing off some of the door. I've also got an idea for the heater ports. What do you guys do to keep out the water besides lift of any kind?

UncleBob Thu Feb 12, 2004 6:58 am

Dan, those rubber distributor covers sure look like a pain in the ass!

My father in law had an idea, and that was to stretch condoms over the distributor if you plan on water fording. An extra long primary wire would be needed so the rubber will fit all the way over the top. I like that idea, but haven't had a chance to try it. It would be especially cool if you used the french-tickler type.

It would need to be tight on the bottom, as the pulley tends to spray water towards the distributor when in the water. But, I would imagine a condom is a pretty tight fit. Plug the drain hole in the distributor? I've heard to try that, but then again I don't want the distributor holding water, either.

Anyway, after taking my old Funco single-seater to the local mud-bogs, I wonder if any waterproofing is necessary. I ran it through muddy water that came up to my nipples, partially submerged, and the engine did fine with no waterproofing. It would start breaking up a couple of times, but a quick squirt of WD-40 under the cap would clear it right up. This was done with points type distributor.

I had expected a foamy mess when changing the oil after the outing, but it was pretty clean. I think that positive crankcase pressure helps the engine keep the water out, in addition to the sand seal pulley.

Chrispoage Fri Feb 13, 2004 2:26 am

i would suggest not having heater boxes in a baja, their just extra weight even though its not as comfortable, it would be one less thing to rattel while your jumping around on the trails. I found j tubes to be compleatly water tight when used correctly.