TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Front Wheel Bearing help needed quick!
UncleBob Sun Feb 15, 2004 5:40 pm

A club member was planning on taking his Baja out tomorrow for a thrashing, but noticed a wobbly front left wheel. He pulled the drum and pieces of inner bearing came out. Trashed.

Anyway, I offered him a drum and bearings off an parts bug in the backyard, but when we pulled the drum off the parts bug (a king pin 65), the drum was completely different, as were the bearings.

His baja is a huge 69, ball-joint, with wide-5 all the way around. The wide-5 drums are different (bearing carrier OD) than my '65 parts bug drums. We went up to the local FLAPS to get a replacement bearings, and attempted to put it in right before dark.

I asked for a 66 bearing set and brought the drum with us to check bearing fit. The inner and outers fit the drum perfectly.

Problem is, the inners are no-where NEAR close to fitting the spindle. The inner bearing ID is much too small. The spindle has a thick taper to it.

What gives? Were we given the wrong bearings at the FLAPS?

Also, in the picture, on the spindle. I'm assuming that's what's left of the bearing stuck to the spindle. How the hell can I get that thing off to fit a new bearing when I DO find one?

Thanks for any ideas or help. The whole family took the day off tomorrow to go play, and I'd like to get them going.

Here's a pic.

Lo Cash John Sun Feb 15, 2004 5:46 pm

Eric,

call me on my cell phone asap.

John Hunt

UncleBob Sun Feb 15, 2004 6:46 pm

Thanks John, you're the man!

It's a Thing front end. For those that don't know, the Things can be identified by both ball-joints that point towards the ground. I never knew.

62ragman Sun Feb 15, 2004 7:25 pm

So what was the fix? Its not nice to keep secrets. :lol:

bljones Sun Feb 15, 2004 7:33 pm

Sorry i was AFK, Uncle Bob. Do you need part numbers to source out the right bearings?

UncleBob Sun Feb 15, 2004 7:37 pm

Well, as soon as I can locate some Thing bearings, I should be good to go.

Since the bearing carrier is still stuck to the spindle, John suggested heating the carrier, while chilling the spindle, and pulling what's left of the carrier off with channel locks.

If that doesn't work, I can take the backing plate retainer plate bolts loose, and use the plate itself for some leverage against the bearing carrier.

I'll let yall know how I make out.

BL, if you got parts numbers, that would be VERY helpful!

bljones Sun Feb 15, 2004 7:46 pm

Uncle Bob,
Inner bearing VW part # 311 405 625 D
Outer bearing VW part # 311 405 645

UncleBob Sun Feb 15, 2004 8:06 pm

bljones wrote: Uncle Bob,
Inner bearing VW part # 311 405 625 D
Outer bearing VW part # 311 405 645

Awesome. Thanks!

vwhelp.com Wed Feb 18, 2004 9:57 pm

Note that the original KP had Ball Berings and most replacement Bearings are roller bearings. You can not put ball & rollers on the same wheel. If you replace one with a roller bearing then the outher must be a roller also. See -> http://www.1800vw.bizhosting.com/0.suspension_ft.all.htm and -> http://www.1800vw.bizhosting.com/BrakeHowto.htm