TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Stub axle assembly
Ryno Sun Feb 15, 2004 11:32 pm

Does anyone know of an online diagram for the bearings/ spacers? I have 3x3 arms on my buggy, and have everything ready to go, just not knowing how it all fits together.

Also wanted to know if I can run 33" tires. I'm running a 1641, with a Type1 IRS trans. Mainly a hardpack desert car. Thanks!

Ryan

DanGreen Mon Feb 16, 2004 1:20 am

I had 31 10.50's on my car (1600cc DP & stock tranny) and I could barley take off without having to rev. my engine high. Too much strain on the engine and you cant go that fast. I wouldnt recomend going bigger than 31 10.50's if you only have a stock transmission. Buy a bus trannny or rebuild the stock one with different gears.... Then you'll be able to move big tires with ease. Thats one way to spend around $1000 unless you can do it yourself. I have 27"x7 1/2" tires in the rear and plan on getting 29"x7" tires to fill out the wheel well better and give me a bit more ground clearance. These tires are cheap, they have very aggressive tread for dirt, mudd and anything other than soft sand and they're easier on the tranny & engine. Check out these tires.... http://www.uniquesupply.com/products/pages/Off-RoadTire_jpg.htm ..... What tires are you using now?

Ryno Mon Feb 16, 2004 9:55 pm

I'm going to run BFG 33" mud Terrains. I'm running 30" tires on the front. The 1641 has a 110 cam, 40x 35.5 ported and polished heads, and a couple other goodies. It'll make plenty of power to turn those meats.

Dan,

I notched my spring plates, and they are fine. I went up to 3/4". I gained alot of down travel. I know a couple guys in Glamis that have done it, and they beat their cars hard, and they are fine.

vwhelp.com Wed Feb 18, 2004 9:47 pm

Check out this exploded view with Part Numbers -> http://www.1800vw.bizhosting.com/0.suspension_rear.irs.htm

Ryno Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:46 pm

Thanks so much, the whole site is a wealth of knowledge. Thank you SO MUCH!

Ryan