TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Bought a Baja Page: 1, 2  Next
I Ride Sand Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:18 am

I came home with a new toy on monday, fownd this gem out in the desert and just couldn't pass it up. It has been a socal bug for most of its life, then it ended up in arizona, then here in utah. Nearly rust free, in exceptional condition. The PO wanted to get rid of it because he bought a rzr and hasn't touched it in a couple years and his kids started fighting over who gets it. One of them gave me a death glare like I have never seen! :lol:

EnjoyNukaCola Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:51 am

PO is dad of the year. 8)

ORANGECRUSHer Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:26 am

Now that is the definition of blank canvas. Good find

TDCTDI Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:23 pm

EnjoyNukaCola wrote: PO is dad of the year. 8)
I'm betting those kids are thinking POS dad of the year.

EnjoyNukaCola Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:26 pm

TDCTDI wrote: EnjoyNukaCola wrote: PO is dad of the year. 8)
I'm betting those kids are thinking POS dad of the year.

Oh yes, I would have serious psychological damage. Life lessons being taught there. Done out of love of course. :twisted:

Brian Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:44 pm

They'll learn.

but damn, that is nice

HERC Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:26 am

Nice baja. 8)

About the Ride Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:15 am

that's funny, I got the exact same glare of death from a 14 year old when I bought his grandpa's Baja!

I Ride Sand Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:29 pm

The plot thickens! As I really start to inspect this thing, some stuff is done right, some less right, and some wrong/hacked. It has been full flowed for an oil filter and still used the stock doghouse cooler. Great! But they did it with a cheap oil pump cover and used 1/4 inch line to and from the filter. The trans might be interesting to open. It has been worked on as it has not one but TWO hd diff plates. Not the full circle ones though. The cheap ones you buy for 59.99. I wonder if there is even a weddle gear set with an unmodified empi superdiff in there. The gas tank was replaced but the fender gussets have been cut and left as is. All of the stock wiring that had to be cut was ran to a terminal block. Then the wiring was hacked so the terminal block isnt even used.

Its like the car had a semi-knowledgeable owner then a not so s-m-r-t feller hacked it. The guy I bought it from seemed like he might have known better, so I will give him the benefit of doubt.

TDCTDI Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:04 pm

Welcome to the world of acvw, they are simple enough that everyone can work on them but most should not. Couple that with 40+ years of multiple owners you're likely to end up with a mixed bag. All in all you've got a great looking start.

philthy Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:17 pm

Good to see it on the samba. When I get situated in SLC, we'll have to put it through the paces at 5 mile with the rest of the crew

philthy Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:36 pm

Also, if you're ever in the Midvale/ Murray area, drop by aircooled.net. I think I'm the only one there that's a Baja fan lol

I Ride Sand Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:53 am

Hey phil, Once I get the bugger running I will be hitting 5 mile with it with the rest of the group. As for now, im concentrating on the rail for the most part. It will also be seen at group rides ;) I may be swinging by aircooled.net sometime in the next few weeks to grab a set of cylinders for the baja. If I can drive it I will! If you get a chance go check out ed's baja!

I Ride Sand Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:11 am

Double post

I Ride Sand Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:41 pm

I may have found the problem with the alternator.... just a guess though...... :lol:

dustymojave Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:47 pm

I Ride Sand wrote: I may have found the problem with the alternator.... just a guess though...... :lol:

:shock:
Sheeyoot Fahr! I aint never seed nuffin like dat!

You might get some trouble over core charge on replacing that one.

When you put it back together, make sure those alternator wires are well apart. It looks like the Df wire could touch the B+ terminal the way it is now.

kyle_pc_75 Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:49 pm

Where in Utah? You should check out the Strictly Baja Utah Chapter club, you can find them on Facebook. Lots of rides and events, mostly around the Eagle Mountain area. Bonneville OffRoad Racing also does a lot of Poker Runs and events all around the state.

dustymojave Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:56 pm

And here I was thinking of referring this guy to you Kyle. Aint seen ya on here here for a while. Just STF-ORF.

philthy Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:27 pm

Kyle he'said already a member. I won't be in town until September, stuck in Texas for now. However, if you stop by soon tell 'em Phil sent ya lol

philthy Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:32 pm

Seriously though, Bajas have a special place in my heart and I'm super jelly you scored it for that price. Being it was from Az, I would check all the rubber. I spent 15 years in the state and old rubber was always bad. Shifter bushing and trans mounts to start with.