TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Can I install a roll cage w/out taking the body off the pan?
DanGreen Mon Feb 16, 2004 6:25 pm

Are there any kits available that allow the installation of a roll cage without having to take the body off of the pan? I cant take the body off where I live and I dont want to pay someone to do it so.... How can I make this possible? I guess all I want is a support on the drivers side incase I get T-boned or roll, any ideas?

rfoutch Tue Feb 17, 2004 10:27 am

What type of cage are you looking for? There are many cages out there and yes some can be installed with the body in place, but it is a lot tougher.

Some kits will also require welding, so watch what you buy.

Go to a good off road site like http://www.chirco.com and look at what they have to offer.

Randy

bajaherbie Tue Feb 17, 2004 6:12 pm

mooreparts.com lists a class 11 cage kit for $145.00 plus shipping. welding is required and probably can be done by a qualified welder w/o removing the body. there are no side bars included but you could buy some mild steel tubing and cut it in to fit- just don't use the cheap orange benders! afterwards you can enter th baja 1000 in class 11.

DanGreen Wed Feb 18, 2004 12:39 am

I called chirco and the guy that answered the phone told me I can install the 6 point roll cage they sell without taking off the body. How strong are the bolt together style roll cages?

Ryno Sun Feb 22, 2004 9:55 am

Dan-

I have a couple buddys that have the bolt in cages, and they're pretty good. Keep in mind, it's there to keep you safe, not to go racing in baja with. If you're a decent welder, weld the whole thing, and gusset the joints. We've done fully welded cages in about 2 days. Have a grinder on tap to clean stuff with, with a flap disc.