TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: My first 1967 Split Window MicroBus 11 window Restoration Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Goshen Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:34 am

It is time...
the time has come...
I always wanted to have a Split Window bus but these babies are expensive even in rough shape without a motor you may be around $10,000. for a rust bucket.
I looked everywhere for one.. on the Samba, Craigslist and Ebay but everything i saw was expensive.. so guess where i found it ?

On Social Media.. on FACEBOOK of all places..

A guy posted it up in a group page called VW Aircooled Society and I just happened to have logged in that day.

Yes, logged in as many of you are connected to Facebook all the time .. I choose not to be part of that crowd that is addicted to facebook and texting and driving .. I am not a proponent of texting while driving or driving distracted because you received a Notification.

I found the 1967 Split window in running condition for $7,000.00

Can you believe it ? $7,000.00

It came from N. Little Rock , Arkansas to Miami , FL for a cost of $800.00
with the transport company
Before that it was owned for about 25 years by Wanda Blue a true deadhead in Oklahoma

Here it is..

73sedan Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:17 am

Sweet deal for the price. Got a little crust but workable. AND it runs. We'll see you around Miami in our '67 11 window. It's at the Wizards right now getting brakes done.

Goshen Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:23 am

73sedan wrote: Sweet deal for the price. Got a little crust but workable. AND it runs. We'll see you around Miami in our '67 11 window. It's at the Wizards right now getting brakes done.

I take it you live down south to take it to Enrique's shop... i thought he was closing up.. but its good to know that people are still in business. post a pic of your bus.

Pinetops Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:01 pm

Congratulations! That looks like a good start. What are your plans?

73sedan Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:23 pm

Yup. It's an Enrique's. He's still there (thank God). I can do all of the work but just don't have the time at this point of my life.

Don't want to derail your thread but I'll go ahead and post my pics since you asked.

zozo Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:20 am

Carl LaFong here. No longer on Facebbok. They required picture IDs to verify identity, like I'm going to that, so adios. No real loss, that's for sure.

Love your bus and will follow your build. If you bring this bus to the same standard that you did your beetle, it'll be a show winner.

EverettB Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:04 am

zozo wrote: Carl LaFong here. No longer on Facebbok. They required picture IDs to verify identity, like I'm going to that, so adios.

What? I had to look that up - they only do that if you are caught using fake info.

Red Fau Veh Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:18 am

Hahahaha! All my friends are skeletons, they beat the rhythm with their bones. Save the bus... :lol:

zozo Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:47 am

EverettB wrote: zozo wrote: Carl LaFong here. No longer on Facebbok. They required picture IDs to verify identity, like I'm going to that, so adios.

What? I had to look that up - they only do that if you are caught using fake info.

I DO use fake info. I've no intention of letting my employer or customers pass judgement on me based on my activities when I'm not engaged in my professional duties, nor am I going to conduct myself differently on my personal time. I do nothing illegal, it's a question of personal views and opinions that, as we see on the news, can get people fired. Regardless of that, it's none of their damn business on any level.

The last thing I will ever do is provide facebook with picture ID's. They need subscribers, subscribers don't NEED them. My life will be just fine, likely improved, without Facebook. No worries.

It's kind of comical really. If they were to verify all users identity, and lock out the fake ones, I'd wager they'd likely lose millions.

No more talk of this nonsense! On with the buses and this guys build.

ToolBox Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:15 am

Goshen wrote:

I found the 1965 Split window in running condition for $7,000.00

Might want to check all the ID numbers against each other and the title because you have a 1967 Bus titled as a 65.

No church key gas door, finger pull rear hatch, big rubber knobs...

Goshen Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:18 pm

ToolBox wrote: Goshen wrote:

I found the 1965 Split window in running condition for $7,000.00

Might want to check all the ID numbers against each other and the title because you have a 1967 Bus titled as a 65.

No church key gas door, finger pull rear hatch, big rubber knobs...

You know you may be right because the inside door handle looks like the ones Wolfsburg West shows as '66-'67

Goshen Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:38 pm

Pinetops wrote: Congratulations! That looks like a good start. What are your plans?

My plans are to restore it and all the panels that need replacing i have aleeady ordered from Wolfsburg West and CIP1.
The Master Welder of Miami came by my house yesterday and told me exactly the panels that i will need and what he will do. The price is mire than i had in mind but this guy is really good at his craft so he came very well recommended. Another fella does the bodywork and paint.

I will post pics right up to the prepping before paint but i will not post a pic once it has been painted and finished.

If you have seen my '67 Maserati Blue Oceano Bug then you will at least know that i wouldn't dissapoint.

The bus is going to have some amazing innocative products that i have been developing such as Cruise Control, an Air Conditioning unit the size of a Betamax with no use of a compressor running off an additional pulley to rob power off my motor. NO WAY !

Motor will be a 1904cc with dual solex carbs

Bullseye Powdercoating will be handlng the ceramic exhaust, header and all other parts that will require powdercoating.

All the interior will be done by the same guy who did my '67 Maserati bug

Goshen Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:41 pm

73sedan wrote: Yup. It's an Enrique's. He's still there (thank God). I can do all of the work but just don't have the time at this point of my life.

Don't want to derail your thread but I'll go ahead and post my pics since you asked.

Very nice man !

You are not derailing my thread at all .. I appreciate it that you shared pics of your split.

cherise1967 Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:44 pm

Just wondering why you will not post a finished picture once ur done... ?

Goshen Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:45 pm

zozo wrote: Carl LaFong here. No longer on Facebbok. They required picture IDs to verify identity, like I'm going to that, so adios. No real loss, that's for sure.

Love your bus and will follow your build. If you bring this bus to the same standard that you did your beetle, it'll be a show winner.

Yo Carl,
Didnt know you were no longer on fb..
I got booted off Vintage Volkswagen Club of America Facebook Group page for bumping my ads... Can you believe that ?

Goshen Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:49 pm

cherise1967 wrote: Just wondering why you will not post a finished picture once ur done... ?

I just want the bus for me without the fanfare and Hype. I wont be showing it at Bug Jam or Volksblast or any meets.. I just want to enjoy the bus my way.
Now i will share with Carl LaFong because he's cool and wont publish it anywhere. :D

Goshen Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:52 pm

EverettB wrote: zozo wrote: Carl LaFong here. No longer on Facebbok. They required picture IDs to verify identity, like I'm going to that, so adios.

Everett,
I looked for you in The Bus movie but didnt see you on it unless i fell asleep watching what i thought was a rather dull movie. I expected something more

Pinetops Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:54 pm

Goshen wrote: Pinetops wrote: Congratulations! That looks like a good start. What are your plans?

My plans are to restore it and all the panels that need replacing i have aleeady ordered from Wolfsburg West and CIP1.
The Master Welder of Miami came by my house yesterday and told me exactly the panels that i will need and what he will do. The price is mire than i had in mind but this guy is really good at his craft so he came very well recommended. Another fella does the bodywork and paint.

I will post pics right up to the prepping before paint but i will not post a pic once it has been painted and finished.

If you have seen my '67 Maserati Blue Oceano Bug then you will at least know that i wouldn't dissapoint.

The bus is going to have some amazing innocative products that i have been developing such as Cruise Control, an Air Conditioning unit the size of a Betamax with no use of a compressor running off an additional pulley to rob power off my motor. NO WAY !

Motor will be a 1904cc with dual solex carbs

Bullseye Powdercoating will be handlng the ceramic exhaust, header and all other parts that will require powdercoating.

All the interior will be done by the same guy who did my '67 Maserati bug

Cool, I'm looking forward to your progress! Be careful of CIP1, they are not afraid to sell junk parts. They sell good parts and junk parts. WW, Klassicfab and Autocraft are the best for metal.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=478200&highlight=klassicfab

Goshen Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:43 am

Pinetops wrote:
Cool, I'm looking forward to your progress! Be careful of CIP1, they are not afraid to sell junk parts. They sell good parts and junk parts. WW, Klassicfab and Autocraft are the best for metal.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=478200&highlight=klassicfab

Wolfsburg West (WW) (Autocraft) i am buying from.
Klassicfab (KF) (Aircraft FR Green Primer Painted) are located here in Florida but his products are in Colombia and they ship out of Bogota, Colombia. They are also a bit more expensive:

WW is $375.00 - $80.00 -$120.00 approx to ship via truck
KF is $575.00 + $200.00 International Shipping

akbluebus Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:45 pm

Hey! I have a 1965 11 window as well, same front bench seat, same original colors it looks like. (sea blue and bluewhite?) I would love to see your M-code plate. Perhaps mine and yours were on the same boat over or something.

I'm somewhat novice by the way, I hope asking for and M-code plate picture isn't like the socially awkward equivalent of asking for someone's social or something.

Anyway the bus looks great and I'm excited to see your progress.