TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: water pump parts for rebuild Page: 1, 2  Next
pushkick Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:15 pm

does anyone know where i can get parts for rebuilding my water pump on a
2.1 L waterboxer ? would like to try to do it myself. any help is appreciated.

Wildthings Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:20 pm

China likely and maybe Mexico if you are lucky :wink:

Merian Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:47 pm

djkeev rebuilds his own water pumps - if he doesn't have spare parts for you then see if he has his backyard smelter up & running yet - you may need to supply your own ore though

:lol:

pushkick Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:27 pm

ok that is funny but all you need is seals and bearings. timken makes bearings along with many other companies. what is strange is that people will spend the time and effort to rebuild an engine which is much more complex.
i was hoping to find someone who already has done the leg work on finding the correct bearings and seals. of course if the impeller is bad that is another issue or the shaft.

djkeev Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:16 pm

Merian wrote: djkeev rebuilds his own water pumps - if he doesn't have spare parts for you then see if he has his backyard smelter up & running yet - you may need to supply your own ore though

:lol:

Those who can DO ........ Those who can't..... Well.......

Although there was that time back in the early 1970's I was in Utah with a Datsun 510 and the hub came loose on the water pump...... Nearest pump was Portland....... There weren't many Datsun's inland from either coast back in those days! (There was a dealer in Salt Lake but no stock) ...... Shipping was Days away back then....... I did eventually find a tractor repair shop that welded the hub onto the shaft........
It worked until I got home to Ashland Or.........

Bearings would most certainly be available, shaft seals once you have a size could be located......
But honestly...... Even I stop short at rebuilding expendable items like a water pump considering the price and high risk of failure.

Dave

djkeev Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:10 pm

Well....... I got to wondering.......

What IS inside of a Water Pump?

Well..... Now I know!

The bearing appears to be a double Roller Bearing that hasn't any numbers on it, Simply has ......
INA U
Turns out it is now part of FAG

http://docslide.us/documents/ina-fag-water-pump-bearings.html

INA is the Brazilian manufactured arm of the company.

The seal is a water pump type seal. If any if you have ever replaced your pool pump seal you know what I mean.
I found some water pump seal manufacturers but no online catalogue.
http://www.skf.com/group/products/seals/automotive...index.html

The numbers are messed up but here are a few photos of the seal.......

Anyway, this is a task that even I would not pursue.

Dave

Merian Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:29 pm

I actually know a guy who forged his own pieces to build a wind tunnel - impressive feat but that is one reason his own scientific productivity was lower than it could have been.

The same might apply here...

Wildthings Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:12 pm

I would actually rebuild a water pump in a heart beat if I could buy a quality kit. Sadly it is not worth the effort to look for one though. :cry:

Any more a lot of times if you can find a kit for something, the kit cost more than the rebuilt or maybe even the new aftermarket part. :cry:

atomatom Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:22 pm

no doubt. my new waterpump was $25. that seems wrong.

morymob Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:24 am

Still being on water pump rebuild, not that long i used kits, only 1 left, but 4 my brand 'x', 6 cys studie. They got pricy eventhen.

Terry Kay Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:25 am

Here is a prime example of diminishing values.

For what a water pump costs it isn't worth the time or effort in looking for the correct parts, let alone doing the time in performing this menial task--

Buy a new pump---

insyncro Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:58 am

Terry Kay wrote: Here is a prime example of diminishing values.

For what a water pump costs it isn't worth the time or effort in looking for the correct parts, let alone doing the time in performing this menial task--

Buy a new pump---

I'd buy 2, you will need them :wink:

Terry Kay Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:03 am

Amen--

Rebuild a Fuel pump ( mechanical ) starter, alternator, carb--sure.

Water pump?

Not today--or tomorrow--not even next year-- :roll:

I'll put rebuilding a water pump right in there with rebuilding a Charcoal Cannister--
Nuts--- :wink:

insyncro Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:18 am

As stated previously, screw up a water pump rebuild and your engine may melt down.
Not worth it, no matter how you slice it.

I say "screw up" as there are plenty of threads showing major screwups costing big dollars to fix...all due to saving a few bucks and DIY corner cutting.

pushkick Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:13 am

well alot of opinions thanks for the info. the cost of a new pump is at minimum $60 + shipping and handling and tax. a refurbished is around $45
i am a curious sort and like to make sure i understand how things work and are put together or designed. my question is why should a centrifugal pump ever go bad? belt too tight, bad seals or bad seal design, poor workmanship assembling? seems like i have to change a pump every 25,000 miles or 4 years. must be designed to fail at a given use. in my case it was the seal that went bad then the bearing.

Terry Kay Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:29 am

Why do you have to pay shipping costs when the pump is available at any local VW dealer, or any local place of parts?

Your putting your priorities in the wrong spot.

The seal dries up from non-use.
It's all your fault.
Drive the Van more.

Merian Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:23 am

post your location - are you in Greece or something?

pushkick Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:59 am

since i didnt elaborate on the specific purchase location i can see why you asked that question. so here is what i was inferring, if i bought from vc, bd or gw there would be shipping cost and only a one year warranty. autozone, oreilly's, napa, advanced auto would be tax and lifetime warranty(usually the part that are refurbished are done locally). local vw dealer is 25 miles one way which given the gas milage of my van would take around 3 -4 gallons of gas @ 2.60/gal. => $10.40 plus my time spent on driving there and back. the dealerships usually are more expensive than any after market or refurbished part. how much does a water pump cost at a vw dealership?

there are only four parts seal, bearing, shaft and impeller. i can either drive or pay shipping or ride my bike to local store and spend my time putting the thing together. or i could pay a mechanic to do it all. it is a choice to do what tickles your interest. it is learning experience in the procuring, to dismantling, to assembly, to how and where these after market places work and the quality of their work. where they cut corners.
as far as seals drying up they are in coolant 24/7 but there could be an issue with wrong coolant to water ratio and during the winter months
slight freezing could be destroying the seals. could have been an improperly installed seal or damaged during installation. will take some analysis to determine the exact cause if it can even be determined.

djkeev Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:19 pm

You are thinking "seal" and thinking an oil seal type unit.

You must understand that a pump water seal is a different animal.
Spring loaded with ceramic seal surfaces. This seal is very much like a pool pump seal.

Dave

pushkick Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:24 pm

djkeev thanks for the info seems like an expensive bearing, that is designed for a special application. those links provide a lot of info about design and functionality. what is the expected life of a water pump given normal use and
no issues.