TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: new wiring harness install Page: Previous  1, 2
Lo Cash John Sun Mar 14, 2004 10:44 am

Dan,

It's important to remeber this: Just because someone is a good mechanic does NOT mean they know anything about wiring or electrical systems. If your mechanic is the one who said you need older electrical parts (generator, switches, etc) to make it all work, then don't let this guy work on your car.
You are taking on a big project here and there are plenty of people here who can help. It'll probably take more than a couple of emails or post to do it too. Just take it one circuit at a time.
1. Ignition on/off
2. Recharge circuit
3. Alternator idiot light
4. Oil idiot light
5. Brake lights
6. etc...

DanGreen Sun Mar 14, 2004 4:29 pm

no, that was my idea. Hes not my mechanic. He was walking his dog and saw me working on it so he offered to help. I thought he would get it fixed that day but he knew less about it then I did. He told me I have an alternator.... and he's right but .....I wish I could show you some pics, its really a mess.

If I had the older style parts then I know I could do it all myself. I also know its possible to get it running with all the existing parts. Compare the 74' beetle wiring with an earlier style and you can see how much more crap there is to deal with.

let me give you an example.... The buggy diagram shows 2 (10G red) and 1 (16G blue) to the voltage regulator. Out from the voltage regulator to the generator is 1 (16G white) to the DF terminal and 1 (12G blue) to the D+ terminal. Thats what the diagram shows.....thats also what the older style beetle diagram shows. Very easy to understand....

What I have in my car now is what looks like 1 (8G red) from the + terminal on the battery to some white plastic connecter cover thing and it meets another (8G red). That (8G red) goes to the B+ terminal on the alternator along with a (16G black) that is cut. I'm not sure what the (16G black) was hooked up to. Now, from the D-, D+ & DF terminal on the alternator there are 3 (16G) wires, red, brown and green/white stripe wires all going back to the voltage regulator and thats where they end. I'm not sure that its a voltage regulator though.

So with the setup I have now how am I suppose to hook up the buggy wires???

I'll try emailing you the buggy diagram.

Lo Cash John Sun Mar 21, 2004 10:36 pm

Dan,

You've got my number. Give me a call.

DanGreen Mon Mar 22, 2004 12:19 am

I created another thread in the beetle forum and I got a diagram of how it should be wired. I havent hooked them up yet but from the looks of it and the replies I got it should be right. I'm working on the fuse block now switching the buggy wires and fuses to the stock block. I'd call you up but isnt that long distance? I'm still living at home and I dont think my parents would like that very much...

Now I'm trying to hook up the stock wires back to where they were and I'm having trouble figuring out which wire is which. I can read the diagram I have but its hard to tell which wire the book is refering to. I'm not sure if the diagram is correct though, it says 73' and later beetles but I suspect mine is a bit different.