TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Aluminum flywheel question
mlrailguy Sun Feb 22, 2004 9:54 am

What are pro and cons of aluminum flywheel? Thinking of getting one for my sand rail.

Chris Dotson Tue Mar 02, 2004 3:20 pm

I would say that for sand only you would be ok. If you plan on driving in rocks or dirt I would maby stay with the steel. Ofcorse all baja race cars run aluminum wheels for weight reasons. It is easyer to spin a light wheel and it wont break as many parts when you jump. I have seen aluminum wheels losen up if you aren't carful. The aluminum is realitively soft. Because of that, I kinda like the steel wheels besides the cheeper price. Cheep and strong almost beat expensive and light weight weakness. There are some seirously strong aluminum wheels out there but they are seirously expensive, but they are the ones I really want, with beadlocks for extra toughness.

Lo Cash John Tue Mar 02, 2004 6:56 pm

Aluminum FLYWHEELS are a no no in this day of 200hp engines. Besides the only ones you can find (Schieffer or Crown) are collectors items. I've got one hanging on the wall of my garage. Get a 12 pound steel one.

Chris Dotson Tue Mar 02, 2004 7:39 pm

Dang :oops: I'm sorry I misread your post. I'm thinking about wheels for my car and got carried away I guess. :lol:

mlrailguy Sat Mar 06, 2004 12:46 am

Thanks guy's, will stick with my lightened steel flywheel