TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Possible early transmission #113 301 102
Chadd_T Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:42 pm

Hi,
I acquired a split case trans from someone recently and was told it was from a bus as it has reduction boxes on the axles. I had a buddy look at it and he thinks it's an early bug trans. Both of us have never seen a trans like this as it has some different things going on with it. The part were the bolts go through the bell housing for the mounts are recessed into the case. The number on the case is #113 301 102. I looked it up on here but not sure I am doing it right? Any info would be appreciated. I can email pics if needed. I also found the number A-356 809 Thanks

Mr. OGPaint Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:09 pm

Posting pics here is your best bet for getting the correct answer

EverettB Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:02 pm

Email me the pics if you can't get them posted

From
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/bugchassisdating.php

Looking at the rear axle column:
A-356 809 looks like it is from November, 1954

Quote: The part were the bolts go through the bell housing for the mounts are recessed into the case
The rear mounts? The rubber mounts that bolt to the cradle? Or ?

Chadd_T Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:24 am

EverettB Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:36 pm

This is a normal feature of a split-case transmission for that era.

Here's my early '54 Bus transmission that looked the same:

Chadd_T Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:46 pm

Thanks man wasn't sure? Is this type of trans worth anything?

EverettB Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:31 pm

Not a ton but it's worth something if someone needed an early transmission for their Beetle restoration.

I'm not sure of the value though, basically whatever you can get.
Looking at the classifieds and ignoring the normal crackheads asking top dollars for junk, it looks like they are around $75-$100 for a later one. I'd say a little bit more since it's an early one with the "smooth" case.

crukab Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:23 pm

I am sorting thru some old transmisions & found this odd one ( all the other ones are Split bus), googled the # and came up w/ this Thread, here are a few pics:
Numbers.

I was going to scrap it w/ some toasted Bus trans., but is it worth any $$ to anyone ??

a1steaksauce Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:33 pm

Does she spin? Axles and whatnot? I canít speak for the transmission but the axle tubes, reduction housings, and gears are worth something to the right person. We Kubel guys use them if they canít find originals or if their gears are stripped or worn.

I wish that spring plate wasnít cut lol. I see an early shock mount which if you have both Iíd be interested in those.

Thereís quite a few desirable parts on that unit, please donít scrap it.

crukab Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:24 am

I looks to be a pretty complete trans., it does spin, not frozen, been kept under cover for years. I'm not looking to spend hours breaking it down just to make a few bucks. A1, whats your location ?? Anyone in the East interested ?? I have 4-5 transmisions for Split Buses, I just need a roller to put in my long sitting pamper......

hazetguy Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:53 am

a1steaksauce wrote: Thereís quite a few desirable parts on that unit, please donít scrap it.

Tom, those are barndoor bus reduction boxes / brakes. The serial number on the trans (N2A129XXX) also indicates Bus.
Do not scrap it, as there are definitely people wanting that stuff, and many of those parts are difficult to find. I realize shipping a huge item like that sucks, but don't scrap it. Put it in a shed or something (covered) and hold onto it until you can get it to a good home.

a1steaksauce Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:52 pm

Iím in Ohio and the only thing I have in my hands not being used currently are IRS transmissions and mid to late 50ís beetle transmissions. Nothing really suitable for your camper.

If youíd be interested in simply trading it off for a working transmission for your camper I donít think youíd have any issues finding someone who will. As others have said thatís a rare unit and is most definitely worth something. Iíd toss up a for sale thread/trade thread for it. The fact that itís not locked up is a huge bonus.

crukab Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:40 pm

I will not be scraping it, I'll probably put it up for sale. I have pleanty of Tranys to get a roller under the Pamper, that thing has been off the ground for 20 + years, just trying to clean up the yard, make the wife happy by getting rid of 1 Vw in the yard..... :lol:

Kubelwagen Chris Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:26 am

a1steaksauce wrote: We Kubel guys use them if they canít find originals or if their gears are stripped or worn.

Is the transmission a bolt in replacement for Kubels? I've heard they are!

Chris

a1steaksauce Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:27 pm

Kubelwagen Chris wrote: a1steaksauce wrote: We Kubel guys use them if they canít find originals or if their gears are stripped or worn.

Is the transmission a bolt in replacement for Kubels? I've heard they are!

Chris

Yes the transmission will bolt right up. The gearing is slightly different however. Also the kubel trans came with a limited slip diff of sorts. Can you run it in a kubel? Yes. There are a couple of kubels I know of with them.

The real gem on the barn door transmissions for kubel guys is the outer reduction housings. Those are pretty much identical to kubel ones.

crukab Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:03 pm

Well that Barndoor trans is on it's way to Taiwan, Via N.Y.City, took a while for the guy to have it picked up here in Vt., the young folks that came from N.Y.City sure did not know what they were getting into when they came up here in the Winter... :wink: