TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Vent Window Glass to Frame Seal
Cage44 Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:26 pm

OK folks, I need your help. I am rebuilding my doors, wing window, seals, etc. I saw differnt ways to install the wing window seal and glass to the frame; some of which included presses, etc.

I decided to just try brute force and go from there. I was able to install the seal (From Wolfsburg West) and glass but I am not sure about the rounded edge opposite the latch lock. The rubber is bunching up and I could not seem to prevent it after installing it 3 times and 3 different ways. Looking at the pictures below, is this common or does it look like I have a problem. I did not want to trim the edges of the seal if I am way off. Thanks in advance!

slagathor Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:51 pm

i had the same problem when i did mine but i found a post a long time ago, tried searching for it but couldnt find it...i basically copied what this guy did:

he bought black sealant used for windows from shamrock supply

he cut the rubber in into small strips about 2 inches in length.

he taped the rubber strips to the glass, spacing the strips about 2 inches apart, not all the way around, just at the ends to hold it to the glass. he didnt do that curve though, the glass pressing in would fill the cavity when the sealant would ooze out.

filled the cavity of the vent frame with the sealant.

he pressed the glass (i built a wood frame to hold the vent in place and used clamps with rubber pads on the end to press it in firmly and evenly) into the frame and let it sit for a day.

it will be messy but a razor blade will clean up what oozes out of the frame

i tried it the way you are doing it and had trouble, so i found the other method. mine look ok and dont leak

slagathor Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:08 pm

now i remember it wasnt a post on the samba

it was a chris vallone video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trzHLG1BUEQ

Cage44 Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:33 pm

Slagathor - thanks for the reply and the video. I do recall seeing Vallone's video a few months back but thought I would try the old rubber seal method. I sprayed silicone all over that seal and the glass and seal slid into the frame with a few pushes. It was not as difficult as it should have been, which leads me to think that the rubber is not as thick as the original stuff.

With a good tug and pull I can lossen the glass and seal. I was hoping it was due to all the silicone spray, but the frame itself could have spread apart over the years. I do know, I could not pull it apart before and had to really cut away most of the rubber seal to pull the glass out when I was having the pieces chromed.

For a better fit, I may have to go the silicone adhesive/caulk route and see how that goes. It may form a better seal for the long term. Thanks again!

slagathor Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:38 am

you are welcome cage44.

i had tried it several ways too. but for my bug, the passenger side glass always fell out, i hadnt even sprayed it with any lube. i even tried doubling up on the rubber but then it wouldnt fit into the frame. the drivers side was tight. i had sprayed it with wd-40 and it would slide right in with some pressure. i let it sit for a week so the wd-40 would dry off. the glass pulled out with very little effort.

i searched several threads then i searched google and found chris vallones video. his method worked perfectly for me.

Teafortwo Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:21 pm

Hi there are some excellent directions and pictures shown in the Blue Bentley book 1961-1966. It also has instructions on fitting Windows Frames for Verts. Best money I've spent in a long time. It recommends rubbing talcum powder into the rubber to enable the glass to slide in.