TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 36 hp oil cooler Page: 1, 2  Next
Jrb572 Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:10 pm

I am just about done rebuilding my 36hp. I was thinking about the oil cooler. Should I have it boiled out? I put fresh oil in it. Then turned it upside down again. It appears to have not huge but some type of chunk that comes out with the oil. Any ideas? I was looking to possibly move up to a 356A oil cooler. But they look super expensive.

Kjell Roar Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:36 pm

I would flush the oil cooler with diesel or parafin.

morymob Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:29 am

Being otta sight, i used a later better one in my 57.

EverettB Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:57 am

morymob wrote: Being otta sight, i used a later better one in my 57.

What was changed?

VWCOOL Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:52 pm

Jrb572 wrote: I am just about done rebuilding my 36hp. I was thinking about the oil cooler. Should I have it boiled out? I put fresh oil in it. Then turned it upside down again. It appears to have not huge but some type of chunk that comes out with the oil. Any ideas? I was looking to possibly move up to a 356A oil cooler. But they look super expensive.

Was it the oil cooler on YOUR motor? Was the motor running, or did it blow up and fill the cooler with metal?

Jrb572 Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:09 pm

There was a wrist pin knocking. But the motor had been sitting for sometime before I put about a 100 or so miles on it. I went ahead and ordered on from someone on here that had one that was cleaned and pressure tested. It was $36. Figured it would be best to not reuse it.

morymob Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:42 am

Spelled out: OIL COOLER!

60ragtop Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:47 am

So what is the difference in the OIL COOLERs :wink:
is the question ask.

EverettB Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:16 am

EverettB wrote: morymob wrote: Being otta sight, i used a later better one in my 57.

What was changed?

Yes, if this was not clear - what is different about the "later better" oil cooler?

Snort Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:13 pm

EverettB wrote:
Yes, if this was not clear - what is different about the "later better" oil cooler?

The oil cooler was shortened, the number of tubes reduced from 36 t0 32, they were brazed instead of soldered, painted black instead of silver. I don't know if any of the changes resulted in better performance. Perhaps if anything slightly better airflow to the cylinders and heads and fewer leaks but I'm just guessing.

Edit: Also the early ones win the oil cooler beauty contest hands down.

tobiasax Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:01 pm

Snort wrote: EverettB wrote:

The oil cooler was shortened, the number of tubes reduced from 36 t0 32, they were brazed instead of soldered, painted black instead of silver. I don't know if any of the changes resulted in better performance. Perhaps if anything slightly better airflow to the cylinders and heads and fewer leaks but I'm just guessing.

My thinking is that the changes were made to improve durability. Pre-early-1957 coolers had problems with cracks and leaks. The new design proved to be so good it was used by VW until 1970 when the engines did have 1500 cc and lots more hp. My belief is that the 57-70 oil cooler is good enough for a street driven hopped-up 30/36 hp engine.

EverettB Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:04 am

tobiasax wrote: Snort wrote: EverettB wrote:

My thinking is that the changes were made to improve durability. Pre-early-1957 coolers had problems with cracks and leaks. The new design proved to be so good it was used by VW until 1970 when the engines did have 1500 cc and lots more hp. My belief is that the 57-70 oil cooler is good enough for a street driven hopped-up 30/36 hp engine.

To clarify for myself:
Are we talking about the change from the "dome" oil coolers to the later style or ?

Snort Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:34 pm

EverettB wrote:
To clarify for myself:
Are we talking about the change from the "dome" oil coolers to the later style or ?

I made that assumption, so seeing no other comments to the contrary I would say yes.

gimmesomeshelter Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:17 pm

Buy a new one. I saw a picture where someone sawed off the top of the cooler after having it professionally cleaned. There was enough &^%* in the cooler to ruin 10 engines.

Cheers,

Paul

EverettB Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:07 pm

Is there a source for new 36hp oil coolers?

gimmesomeshelter Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:41 pm

This will fit:

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111117021E

If you have the money, you can install one of those aluminum oil coolers the Porsche guys use.

http://www.nlaparts.com/store/aluminum-cooler-p-691.html

Cheers,

Paul

txoval Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:59 am

I used the one from the link to Wolfsburg West.

The only key item being, you must use the "Green" oil cooler seals. They are designed to use this cooler on the early engines. 8mm ports to 10mm ports.

If you use the early seals (black cylinders) they will leak immediately and you will have a heck of a mess...don't ask how I know this

My57Oval Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:36 pm

Is this cooler the same basic dimensions as stock for say ,a '57 36HP motor?

Because if not, and it is taller or will block air flow to #3, than you may have cooler oil but higher head temperature right?

Rob

My57Oval Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:46 pm

Hi. Has anyone used this cooler?

Lingwendil Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:13 pm

Supposedly this is the same cooler as the one from Wolfsburg west, but I haven't handled one myself...

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC-111-117-021-EAL