TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Drivers side door and trunk "fit"
No_Smoking Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:10 pm

Hey all, I was noticing a few things when I was getting a closer look at our new project.

Two things popped out at me. The drivers side door, and the trunk.
There is a part on the door that makes contact where the paint seems to have been rubbed completely off. Not normal I assume?

Then there is the hood. It's missing the seals, but I figured it would still fit a little better than it currently does.

Pretty sure these parts are not original to the body, so maybe they are wrong for the year? Any thoughts, opinions, advice is appreciated!

Tram Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:56 pm

Needs some serious body panel alignment is all.

Bobnotch Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:21 am

Tram wrote: Needs some serious body panel alignment is all.

And probably some D-19 tape behind the front fender (at the screw strip).

No_Smoking Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:17 pm

Tram wrote: Needs some serious body panel alignment is all.
Is that relatively easy to do, for a newbie?

Bobnotch wrote: And probably some D-19 tape behind the front fender (at the screw strip).

D-19 tape? Screw strip? =) Not sure what those are

Mike Fisher Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:46 pm

It might be easiest to just shim/adjust the door back a hair? Put tape on any important edges, so you don't chip up your fresh paint while adjusting them. You'll need some touchup paint eventually. Don't forget the 10mm fender bolt up under the dash w/1/4" drive socket if you loosen/remove the front fender. :twisted:

Bobnotch Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:20 pm

No_Smoking wrote: Bobnotch wrote: And probably some D-19 tape behind the front fender (at the screw strip).

D-19 tape? Screw strip? =) Not sure what those are
Here's a pic. It's that strip of semi-white running vertically in from of the door.

I get it from my local camping supply. :D
It's job is to keep water from entering the cabin thru the 3 screw holes that hold the rear of the fender to the body. It also helps keep dirt and crap out of the hinge works, by sealing the joint between the body and the fender there. Without it, the fender sits in at the front of the door by at least an 1/8th of an inch, and causes that exact thing you've got going on where the door hits the fender.

No_Smoking Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:32 pm

ooh, awesome. I have such a hard time visualizing things when explained. Photos definitely help, thanks =)

I'll keep that tape, (and the hidden bolt) in my notes when it comes time to remove that fender.

supersuk Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:13 am

I just bought 50' of that butyl tape from a certain vendor on amazon since no one else would ship this type of tape to Hawaii! Damn people. I'd ship this stuff to people, but I don't think its worth it since shipping is around $6 and you can buy this stuff for $10 (20').