TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 76 FI Bug body repair near vent
slfisherf1 Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:59 pm

Given 76 FI model as a "gift." Engine needs rebuilt. Body not too bad as it's been garaged and off the road for years. The major damage is on driver's rear quarter directly below the air intake where area about as big as my hand is corroded mess do to very poor repair at some point. Will need to be cut out and weld section back in. Have looked on line and there appear to be replacement panels for about every bit of a Bug except this area. Anyone know of a place that sells this? Would rather order than have to go to a scrap yard and cut out myself.

Volks Wagen Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:03 pm

slfisherf1 wrote: Given 76 FI model as a "gift." Engine needs rebuilt. Body not too bad as it's been garaged and off the road for years. The major damage is on driver's rear quarter directly below the air intake where area about as big as my hand is corroded mess do to very poor repair at some point. Will need to be cut out and weld section back in. Have looked on line and there appear to be replacement panels for about every bit of a Bug except this area. Anyone know of a place that sells this? Would rather order than have to go to a scrap yard and cut out myself.

No replace ment panels available for that specific section. This is a common problem dealt with on here a lot. Search 'deathfoam'. And it's not an air intake.

Dwayne1m Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:06 pm

Here is the difficult battle you are fighting.