TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: New ratio rockers and lifters Page: 1, 2  Next
AirCooledClassics Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:30 pm

I've just looked into the new ratio rockers and lifters from Concept 1 for the 36 hp performance game. the lifters are a nice option to solve the pushrod bending problem (although they have been available from Blackline racing for several years.) The ratio rockers apply to anyone building a small 36 engine not a Bonneville monster. They bolt on only a tiny ratio increase but they claim they fit under stock Valve covers. I don't know if that applies if your running a heftey cam. Its great to see someone bringing parts to the vintage speed market. I think the price is great to but i'm confused on the tiny ratio on the arms. What do you think!

pig-pen Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:53 pm

do you have a link?

60ragtop Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:27 pm

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1880205

gimmesomeshelter Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:01 am

These look interesting!

Much less expensive than Speedwell rockers, you don't have to buy special valve covers, and you're less likely to run into valve spring binding issues. Combine this with a cam from WW (
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111109021OK) and a set of 911 style adjustment screws, and you'll be ready to go!

Cheers,

Paul

txoval Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:31 pm

Ok if you are building an engine, but not for adding to a running engine since you have swap lifters ($229) and then buy cut to length pushrods

1.4 rockers from speedwell provide more performance and cost the same.

These lifters are $159 + $229 + pushrod cost.

1.15 isn't a big boost from 1.1...sorry

gimmesomeshelter Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:20 pm

I'm not sure I agree.

You'll need to switch to two piece lifters if you go to any ratio rocker setup.

The benefit of the 1.15 setup is that it's $200 less less expensive than the Speedwell rockers, you won't need aftermarket valve covers ($150), and you're very unlikely to have issues with coil binding, unlike the 1:1.4 rockers.

The downside of the 1.15's is obvious - they don't lift as high/won't flow as much.

BTW, the stock ratio is 1:1, not 1.1:1. :wink:

Cheers,

Paul

txoval Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:21 am

Yes typo.

My point is that the speedwell rockers do NOT require two piece lifters/pushrods. Coil bind is not an issue with my Stage 2 cam.

I think these lifters are a great deal for a new build, but not for a running engine like the speedwell version.

I would not switch lifters on a broken in cam/lifter setup.

$390 for these (lifters + rocker arms)

$395 for speedwell, which also includes new shafts. Of course, finding Speedwell parts is a pain

pig-pen Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:06 am

ok, so I already have the speedwells... and I need new lifters anyway... so is it worth me buying these new lifters? I was only going to use my original cam, although I have a blank one I might do my own grind with. One day. When I pull my finger out of my .....

pineapple_express Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:09 pm

quick question on the 1.4 Speedwell rockers, lash caps are not necessary correct?

txoval Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:30 pm

Correct

RichardinNZ Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:23 am

Looking for ratio rockers for my dual carb 36hp. Looks like these new rockers aren't suitable given the comments above (is it is a built engine) but does anyone know who may have some Speedwell 1.25s in Stock?

Many thanks
Richard

Robert Chambers Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:06 pm

Richard,
I saw some for sale on eBay from kokoparts. I think they are the new style mentioned on this Forum? Good luck! :D

RichardinNZ Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:09 pm

Sorted. Thanks to a tip off from TX oval I have some 1.4s.

Won't get them until late July and then fit them late August....

Mr.Ragtop Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:52 pm

Anyone running these rockers yet with a WW cam? Looking at doing this but not sure if I’ll clear the piston as I’m shooting for about 9:1 on my build.

PeteSC Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:14 am

I'm using them on my 1397 build (that is if we're talking about the AA Performance 1.15:1 rockers) that has a WW hi-po cam. Engine has been run for break in only, so I don't have any real feedback on them yet, other than that the break-in went well. It'll be about a month before the engine is in the car and driving.

Huntd105 Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:33 pm

Has anyone got advice on these rockers . Ive bought some for my already built 30hp motor what exactly am i needing to do before i can run them.

Im still all fairly new to all of this you see any help would be great

gimmesomeshelter Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:34 pm

Make sure you're valve springs aren't binding and check your valve geometry. If it's too far off, you may of to use two piece lifters (https://aapistons.com/products/vw-36hp-2-piece-lifters-type-1-4-porsche-356-912-914-8pcs).

Cheers,

Paul

Huntd105 Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:44 pm

I will look for thst . I imagine it Will only be a small difference from the standard rockers? .

PEPPE Sun May 10, 2020 11:26 am

hallo, i am using this lifters with stock cam and stock pushrod setup. how much is the risk in using them without special pushrods?

Alstrup Sat May 16, 2020 7:30 am

No risk