TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Winter project
miller0358 Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:36 pm

I needed something to keep busy this winter so I took a long block I been kicking around my garage for about 10 years and decided I would rebuild it. Turns out the top end was rebuilt years ago with China crap,so into the trash with that. The bottom end turned out to just need a line bore. I'm using the crank and cam just polished up a little. New bearings,rods,lifters, and I'm petting a new oil pump just to be safe. Top end will be new Mexican pistons and cylinders, and stock german heads rebuilt. I'm keeping it at 1600. I think I have enough parts around to make a turn key engine. Should keep me busy for the winter anyway. Jeff

Zundfolge1432 Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:45 pm

May we see a pic please?

67rustavenger Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:53 pm

I'd like to see the pics of miller0358 petting his new oil pump. :shock:
Is there some sort of gratification in doing this?
Good Luck.

miller0358 Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:42 pm

Got a few pictures.

miller0358 Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:45 pm

I'll take some more when I'm doing the top end. Jeff

miller0358 Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:14 pm

Put the case half's together today with no issues.I'll istall the pistons on tomorrow and more pictures. Jeff

67rustavenger Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:35 pm

You did lube everything liberally before closing your case, right?
All your pics look as if all the cam, crank, and rod bearings are dry. If you didn't, take it back apart and lube everything in sight.
Good luck.

miller0358 Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:30 pm

Lubed every thing before I closed the case. Went out today, turned on the furnace, turned on the stereo, and proceeded to install pistons 1 and 2. Installed the pushrod tubes and the head. Did the first torque and then noticed I forgot to install the tin between the cylinders. I seem to be doing things like this more often as I get older. (65). Took it apart and did it right but not too happy about it. Great when stuff like this happens. Jeff