TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Larry's 1962 Single Cab Resto "Brrt Brrt" Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Fifty-Eight Rag Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:16 pm

Getting ready to tear into this ultra-cool dual chest SC. It is a factory Ruby Red truck and it will go back to that color.

Larry is a good friend of mine and he has a VW heart through and through. We just finished the resto of a 67 Beetle that he has owned since 1970. Link to that thread is in my profile.

Anyway, Larry found this SC sitting on a farm in Iowa and decided it needed to come home with him. Larry, being a crazy VW guy, is raising his grandson proper and exposing him to as much of Wolfsburg's finest as he can. The boy has affectionately named the truck "Brrt Brrt" after the sound a VW makes going through the gears. Well, the name stuck.

This build wont be over the top, but it will involve a complete going through of the entire truck, mechanical, interior, electrical, rust repair and paint.

Fifty-Eight Rag Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:54 pm

The brakes are shot as well as the front suspension and steering.

The wheel cylinders are frozen solid, backing plates have seen better days.

Beginning tear down of front end
Spindles fought me pretty good, but with enough PB Blaster, heat and an air hammer, I got them off. Also, you can see in the wheel well some of the original Ruby Red that this SC left the factory with.

The driver's side, top link pin is rusted solid and the lower has the bearing completely beat out.

asesapie Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:59 pm

Looks like a good start, keep the updates coming.

campingbox Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:44 pm

Hot pink brake shoes? Someone was having fun.

Cool bumper sticker.

Fifty-Eight Rag Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:06 pm

Ran the front backing plates through my blast cabinet. Hammer and dollied them back straight and acid etch primed them.

Hard to see, but the star adjuster torsion springs were so weak from rust they literally fell off.

Looked all over for a supplier and found nothing. Searched here on The Samba and found that guys were making their own. I took a stroll through the hardware dept. at my local "Depot" and found something perfect. Just goes to show, you have to look outside the box...or inside the box in this case. Thought I'd share.
Found replacement wheels for sliding screen doors had a similarly shaped torsion spring.
Ground off the rivet from the wheel mount and separated the spring.

Carefully bent the tip that will contact the star adjuster...

and positioned, marked and drilled the backing plate...attached with a couple 1/8" rivets

Fifty-Eight Rag Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:08 pm

campingbox wrote: Hot pink brake shoes? Someone was having fun.

Cool bumper sticker.

Yeah, I dont know what was up with them...they are in the trash now, linings were toast.

Schmidts Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:59 am

Another SC build i am going to enjoy watching

Thanks Scotty

OB Bus Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:06 am

There are a lot of single cab builds going on these days! Great inspiration and motivation. My original plan was to wave goodbye to the 67 SC after New Years but maybe things will change......

crukab Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:51 pm

Singlecabs are popping up all over the Samba, I mean, a nine foot truck bed/work bench is a really nice thing to have, they are really versitle.
And a Dual Chester is waaaaaaaaay nice option, I do suffer from Dual Chester envey... :oops: :lol:

cru62 Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:39 pm

Fifty-Eight Rag wrote: campingbox wrote: Hot pink brake shoes? Someone was having fun.

Cool bumper sticker.

Yeah, I dont know what was up with them...they are in the trash now, linings were toast.

You should keep them to use as cores for when you rebuild the brakes. The shoes themselves don't wear out. Only the part that is supposed to.

Manfred58sc Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:37 pm

Super cool bumper sticker..hope it gets to stay.

crukab Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:16 pm

And Thanks for going back to the Ruby Red, that poor s.o.b. has suffered w/ that yellow inside/blue outside. oh the humility.... :shock: :twisted:

wrenchnride247 Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:28 pm

Oh yeah! Another SC, and a '62 dual chest!

ToolBox Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:25 am

cru62 wrote: Fifty-Eight Rag wrote: campingbox wrote: Hot pink brake shoes? Someone was having fun.

Cool bumper sticker.

You should keep them to use as cores for when you rebuild the brakes. The shoes themselves don't wear out. Only the part that is supposed to.

Yep, you can get a better material bonded or riveted to your shoe tables from a local rebuilder. I send mine out to a place in Indiana for relining. No idea on current pricing, it has bee several years.

BulliBill Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:37 am

Nice to see another old Splitty getting restored in the St. Louis region! Invite the Missouri Micro's over sometime for a dead-of-Winter "garage night" and we'll come over to check it out and help... and we'll bring beer!

Bill Bowman

Fifty-Eight Rag Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:37 pm

crukab wrote: And Thanks for going back to the Ruby Red, that poor s.o.b. has suffered w/ that yellow inside/blue outside. oh the humility.... :shock: :twisted:

You can thank Larry for that...I just suggested it.

Fifty-Eight Rag Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:39 pm

BulliBill wrote: Nice to see another old Splitty getting restored in the St. Louis region! Invite the Missouri Micro's over sometime for a dead-of-Winter "garage night" and we'll come over to check it out and help... and we'll bring beer!

Bill Bowman

Might just have to do that...I like beer!
I'm sure Larry would enjoy it as well...we both have VW blood.

Fifty-Eight Rag Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:58 pm

Not a lot going on at the moment...just some busy work while I'm waiting on parts.
The center area of the floor pan is still real solid, as well as the front frame rails and cross member, so I cleaned and POR 15 them while I have good access with the steering linkage out.
Like said earlier, this wont be an over-the-top 100 point resto, but rather a good rebuild with an emphasis on preservation.
E-Brake cables and gas pedal linkage will also receive some attention.

Fifty-Eight Rag Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:00 pm

New master cylinder installed, push rod cleaned and adjusted.

Fifty-Eight Rag Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:47 pm

Found a thread here on the Samba showing the proper way to replace the steering swing lever center pin bushings. Very informative, but was using factory VW Hazet tools, which I do not have.
So, time to get creative.
I used my air hammer and a bearing race driver to push the old bushings out the top.

Drove the new bushings in from the bottom using the same technique.
Note:the upper bushing should protrude from the top about 1/16" and the lower bushing should stop flush with the bottom.