TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Vanagon Entry Steps Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
weisswurst Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:37 am

mikemtnbike wrote: I just want to know if Steve travels with a pygmy goat all the time. Because that would be awesome.

Ha! Steve should travel with her but that goat is ours.
Her name is Dottie and she was abandoned by her herd the day she was born so we bottle fed for a few weeks and gave her to our dog to raise.
She has been to a few VW shows already (Lakeland Classic) and was invited to the Beach Buggy Bros show "Buggies on the beach" on Memorial day weekend in Jax Florida this year. She is not afraid of vehicles including loud VW engines (the dog training I guess) and loves to jump into any car I start up around here to go for a ride. Here is a pic of her walking at the show with her adopted "mom dog"....

and one at the lakeland classic 2019

see you at amelia island in May!!

ALIKA T3 Sat Oct 22, 2022 10:59 am

ALIKA T3 wrote: slackin' at work wrote: djkeev wrote: I ordered my BusDepot side step but stumbled upon this parts drawing of a Vanagon step.

Anyone ever seen one? Curious how it works, it has a spring but does it slide or flip?

[illustration]

Dave

this is the ambulance step. it slides out and is controlled by the door itself.
if you open the door more than half way it allows it to slide out.

there is a bracket you need to mount on/through the slider which may be a deal breaker for some.

I pulled the trigger last night on the GW step.
I'm on east coast and shipping was weirdly high on it… but I had to place an order for some GW specific parts and shipping didn't get higher with the addition of the smaller pieces.

I also looked at a few more modern hide-away truckbed steps, but ultimately decided to keep it a period-correct vw accessory.

Yes, factory option, not only ambulances.

I have one I never mounted in France, all powder coated.It's super sturdy and well built. The chassis frame actually has the holes where to bolt it 8)

You can buy a new one from VW Classic Parts not much more than the Go Westy step... You cannot install it on side cladding vans (unless modification of cladding).
You cannot have an extra water tank if you have that automatic step.

Finally picked up this summer:

Steve M. Sat Oct 22, 2022 2:25 pm

ALIKA T3 wrote: []

You're goi g to like it!

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=661562&highlight=my+kasten+16

ALIKA T3 Sun Oct 23, 2022 4:36 pm

Steve M. wrote: ALIKA T3 wrote: []

You're going to like it!

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=661562&highlight=my+kasten+16

It's mostly for bragging rights, it's gonna go at some point on a van project I have, I doubt I'll ever step on it to get in the van especially with Carat springs.
I'm glad I bought the missing inner door plate from VW back then, it's long NLA now. I'll take measurements for the archives.

Steve M. Sun Oct 23, 2022 8:34 pm

ALIKA T3 wrote:
It's mostly for bragging rights, it's gonna go at some point on a van project I have, I doubt I'll ever step on it to get in the van especially with Carat springs.
I'm glad I bought the missing inner door plate from VW back then, it's long NLA now. I'll take measurements for the archives.

Ah! Someday maybe then! My floor is 24" off the ground and the older I get the more I like it! (It's a godsend!)
I'm wary of bashing it on a rock, but I've been mindful in my driving so it hasn't happened yet.