TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Members Sending Samba Emails W/O Registering Their Own
John Moxon Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:42 am

Please add an email address to your Samba profile.

I've received several email questions from Samba members over the years without a logged email address. Personally I don't think this should be an option but a requirement of membership.

The reason is, having taken time to give a detailed answer the reply, which can now only be made through a PM, sits for weeks in the Outbox waiting for the questioner to log on and discover the PM.

Why are some people reluctant to include their email address? Puzzled. :?

EverettB Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:43 pm

I believe you mean they are emailing you through the site and you cannot respond.

You are correct that "email" contact is off in a person's profile by default when a user signs up.

John Moxon Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:47 am

EverettB wrote: I believe you mean they are emailing you through the site and you cannot respond.

Yes that's right. You can respond as the Samba email will give you the "username" of who sent it but you have to search the "memberlist" to find their profile and then sent a PM which will probably sit for weeks in the "Outbox" waiting for them to notice it.

EverettB wrote:
You are correct that "email" contact is off in a person's profile by default when a user signs up.

Personally I can't see that as the best option...they have to divulge their email address to register in the first place but to add the "email" button to their profile and for it to be included in a Samba email they send out, they must click "Yes" to "Always show my e-mail address".

I think it's the wording of this field that is putting people off...they think their email address will be openly displayed in their profile. All it actually does is to add the "email" button below the "PM" button in their profile.

Perhaps change "Always show my e-mail address" to "Allow People To Email Me" with a note that "Your email address will not be displayed in your public profile" and make "Yes" the default option.

I know you have PMs sat in your "Outbox" for months on end too Ev...probably for the same reason. :wink:

EverettB Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:25 am

You are correct on the PMs sitting in my Outbox but for me, those are replys to PMs or people I have PM'd on the site for various reasons not related to emails I received in my email.

When someone emails you through the Email button in your profile, the email sent has their direct email address.
When you hit Reply on the email from the site, it goes to their email address.

If you don't see this, your email program is not working correctly.

I will look at the other items you spoke about above.

John Moxon Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:06 am

EverettB wrote:
When someone emails you through the Email button in your profile, the email sent has their direct email address.
When you hit Reply on the email from the site, it goes to their email address.

If you don't see this, your email program is not working correctly.

I will look at the other items you spoke about above.

The emails sent to me via my Email button often aren't sent from their Email address but from "[email protected]"

When I search for their "username" and find their profile, they have no Email button, I have to send my reply via the only option left...a PM.

My email is aggregated by the new Windows 10 email program and gathers my Hotmail and other email address. I don't think my Windows 10 is corrupting the messages as viewing the same email via Hotmail direct shows the same result.

Am I alone in suffering this? :?