TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Syncro with subaru gearbox reduction box conversion project
RocketRevo Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:00 am

Hi everyone.
Have started a VW Syncro conversion.
I am in the last part of fitting a reduction box to fit to a Subaru box.
My idea is that the Subaru gearbox is cheap and almost the same dimensions as a Syncro Box.
But it spins different direction and gearing is too tall for off-roading.
So my solution is a reduction box fitted to them.
I'm at the stage off putting the reduction together and mounting it.
That is 4 reduction boxes one for each axle, to my Syncro which has a Subaru motor fitted.
Also l sourced a Hi-Lo ratio 4.44 Gearbox for this project.
Hopefully next month my van will come into the workshop to be fitted.
I'm thinking this setup would be useful in a buggy.
Please respond with any interest
Thanks

BFB Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:57 am

did you get anywhere with this?

sunburntwilly Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:16 am

So I had the same idea with regards to the reduction gears or portal axles. Too change the direction of the wheels and retain the hi/lo ratio of ths suby gearbox. When you look at the rear trailing arm of the syncro it looks very doable but the front not so much. I thought that as Australian delivered syncros come with a 5.43 final drive, that the standard suby diff could be retained and the portal axle could be the ratio reduction point that would match the front. Or as there a large selection diff ratios for these t3s just try and match the diff ratio in the front with the final drive at the rear. As for direction of the front diff you could either flip the diff or employ suby gears front output adaptor that will place the suby output lower under the cross beam and correct the diretion.
Very nice idea. Love to know how you got along with it.
Cheers
Bob.

Mitchmech Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:15 pm

Any progress with this? Are there portals available to do this on the rear of a buggy?