TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 74 westy top onto a 69?
alaskadan Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:18 am

Hi i have a 74 parts westy. When all is said and done parting it out there will be a westy poptop left. I also likely have an option to buy a 69 bay tintop. Its complete but no beauty queen with some metal work to do removing the usual rusty bits. Rockers, back corners, under windshield, front steps, etc. Once a van has to have that much metal replaced i dont feel its doing any injustice to do a engine conversion and heck, why not add a poptop.

So from research a74 top can be put on an early bay. But only the top. Not the whole roof ofthe 74, correct? Seems the curvature of the early bay was rounder than later bays. Unlike a vanagon westy top conversion where you can drill spot welds around the gutter and transplant the whole roof. Any input and or links to this being done would be appreciated.

busdaddy Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:37 am

There's nothing stopping you from drilling all the spot welds and replacing the entire skin (as well as some of the inner structure) aside from your patience, that's a sh*tload of drilling.

danfromsyr Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:54 am

the 74+ westy roof "deck" was flattened to accommodate the flip over bunk
platform.

the 68-73 westy roofs were left the natural curve and utilized sunroof bodies.

you can likely just put a 74 poptop onto the tintop, but have no room for the bed platform. if you are just after headroom and not upper deck sleeping. it'll be the easiest.

alaskadan Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:02 am

Hmm ok. I guess i felt it would leave a better finished product than cutting the hole in the 69 roof. Definitely more work. I passed on the 69 originally and am going to have another look. But i could possibly put another westy on the road. Thanks for replying. Funny, the 69 has been there so long a chainsaw will be necessary to extract. With an old growth spruce behind it, the 6" tree right in front of it says something.

Tcash Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:55 am

http://www.pottsfamily.ca/westfakia/

Westfalia Pop Top

Gluck
Tcash

alaskadan Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:22 am

Wow thanks Tcash, ive got some reading to do!