TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Hideaway muffler for bus?
Onefundave Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:02 am

Are there any hideaway mufflers for my 1970? I can not find any that are said to fit a stock sized 1 3/8 empi header system. All the one i have looked at say they fit into the bug fender. I would like to find one that would be little to no modification to fit on a bus.

camit34 Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:22 am

There's really no room under the bus for something like a tucked away bug muffler.

Maybe something like this - http://shop.vintagespeed.com.tw/s.nl/it.A/id.467/.f

canes5time Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:05 pm

It can be done.
I had a Thing hideaway system modified for my Bus.

camit34 Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:28 pm

That's slick! Nice work! What is it like doing valve adjustment? Just remove the muffler?

I also just recalled sxuxrxf did this with his Bus

awreed Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:32 pm

Very cool indeed. How do you adjust your #1 and #2 valves without removing that muffler?

Stuartzickefoose Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:47 pm

Go hydraulic ;)

Just kidding t4 joke only...

fes Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:25 pm

I have these on my Ghia, The guy I bought them from had them on his Bus,
Good quality (stainless) and exit forward the rear wheels,
There's a lot of debate on how they compare to the merged system and the sound isn't for everyone..Plus kiss whatever crap heat you might have goodbye..
PS- don't give me shit about my missing tin, this was just after I installed the motor :wink:

richparker Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:43 pm

Stuartzickefoose wrote: Go hydraulic ;)

Just kidding t4 joke only...

I've seen several T1 builds that used hydraulic lifters, nice and quite.

In order to adjust the 1 & 2 valves with a hideaway muffler I beleve you need to remove the tire. Not hard, just an extra step...

OP, what's the reason for going with a hideaway, sound or ground clearance? If ground clearance then the VS is a nice option. Cant wait to install mine, they tuck under the apron nicely. I didn't search long on the interweb but I did see the A-1 Sidwinder and several other options.

canes5time Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:28 pm

doublea_ron wrote: That's slick! Nice work! What is it like doing valve adjustment? Just remove the muffler?

Yes. It takes about 5 minutes to remove the muffler. The 3 flange bolts and 2 hanger brackets, 1 by the engine support bar and 1 behind the muffler. The plus about it is while I reinstall the hanger behind the muffler, I go ahead and check everything under there. It's a win-win situation.

Onefundave Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:34 pm

But are there any hideaway mufflers for a stock sized exhaust that are built to fit with a bus? without modification?

richparker Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:30 am

I'm no expert and I understand this says its for a Bug. But it looks like it would work. I bet you could find some measurements or reviews on it, I just searched Google...

http://www.jbugs.com/product/55-3650.html