TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Stock Vanagon Clutch Disc in a TDI conversion
AndyBees Thu May 26, 2016 4:56 pm

This topic may have already been discussed to the Moon and back, but I never found anything ....

So, I recently pulled my transmission to install a Pilot Shaft that has larger splines to accept the TDI Clutch Disc (228mm).

Yesterday, I just happened to take a close look at the new TDI clutch disc and was comparing it to the Sachs OE style 228mm Clutch that I removed with about 50k miles on it.

The following photos reflect what I found... (look for the cracks in the metal)

I believe the TDI engine and no doubt Subies, 1.8Ts, etc., may be more than the OE style Vanagon Clutch can stand. Or, was this just a freak thingy that occurred?

My engine has a Stage 1 Tune which bumps the HP from 90 to about 110-115. I'm not sure about the torque increase.

Almost two years ago, I did pull my PopUp Camper on a long road trip to Alaska and return... I doubt the damage would have hung together for 30k more miles...

Zeitgeist 13 Thu May 26, 2016 5:28 pm

I suspect your trailer towing was the primary culprit

narendra.vw Thu May 26, 2016 6:54 pm

Thanks for the input. It's an eye opener.
I have already acquired TDI shaft & have Donor's low run TDI clutch plate.
This Info will hurry up my work.

Higher HP, change in Gear ratio & pulling trailer on uphill, downhill should be the cause.
5 speed in your next project? :)

Waldi Fri May 27, 2016 1:16 am

Nice info.

But i think this happens very rare.
i was driving the wbx disc on a mashined fly wheel on my AAZ for long time.
2 weeks ago i changed it finaly to a original TDI fly wheel and cluch with shaft, because of the anoying rattling in the gearbox with the light fly wheel.

I have mashined the tdi fly wheel only a bit for the original starterand 4 stripes for the oilpan screws. Balanced afterwards.
Using this plates
https://www.tk-carparts.de/article/4040/Trennblech_2_teilig.html

No more rattling in the gearbox on idle, and the engine runs smoother.
After doing 2,500km the last 2 weeks i notice also a better mpg.

MarkWard Fri May 27, 2016 10:24 am

Andy, I should be pulling my clutch out over the next few weeks. I am also running the stock diesel clutch. I'll look for the cracks and let you know. mark

AndyBees Fri May 27, 2016 12:37 pm

You know, there's little doubt that the PopUp Camper trailer did stress the clutch plate. But, that was almost two years ago and a bit over 30k miles later.

Like many of us, there's been a few times I thought the tranny was in neutral and let the clutch out or dumped the clutch due to my foot slipping off the pedal. It would seem a few of those incidents would take a toll on the plate as well.

Of course, I do drive it almost like I stole it...

Today, I finally got the last welding done on the exhaust system, including the hangers. I'm almost ready to give it the final hang. I also have the two carrier bars with OE diesel engine rubber mounts ready to install. While all that stuff is out, I'm doing a few mods to the AC line connections, PS hose, and few things dealing with the electrical circuits in that area.