TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Converting a Single port to a dual port
burn-z Fri May 27, 2016 9:42 am

I'm in the process of gathering parts to build another Dune Buggy. In my quest, I purchased NOS heads and dual Carbs for a 1600 Dual port engine. I just found someone that is selling a 1600 Single port. I was wondering if I can just swap the heads or if there is more to it then that.

unclebill Fri May 27, 2016 11:13 am

As I recall, the two center studs on top are a different length. Also you'll need cylinder head tin, a doghouse shroud, and doghouse style oil cooler. I think the 1600SP was used for just a few years in buses and ghias and after around '72 they were all DP.

If the single port engine is in good shape, why not just get a set of SP manifolds and put your dual carbs on it? A lot less work, and you seldom see a cracked single port head. Sell the NOS dual port heads and invest in something cool for your build...just a thought

B

didget69 Fri May 27, 2016 11:26 am

The SP engine , if in good condition, is a great little torque engine.
Yes, it runs out of breath at 4-4.5K rpm, but what is your primary application?

bnc

andk5591 Fri May 27, 2016 12:49 pm

Have/do run both. recently did a SP to DP conversion and I am also pretty sure a couple of the studs were too long. Not my much, I think I had enough thread, just needed to cut a little off. Not a big deal, but remember new pushrod tube seals and you may have cylinders come loose from the case which will need to be resealed.

vwracerdave Fri May 27, 2016 2:18 pm

Single port engines are way overrated as torquie little engines. Maybe stock S/P vs. stock D/P might be a somewhat equal comparison, but once you start modifying and upgrading the D/P will kick ass.

didget69 Sat May 28, 2016 1:30 pm

...less than 3 hours. Getting better -

b

burn-z Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:21 am

Thanks for the advice and input but I moved too slow and its gone. I may have to go to the Litchfield Bugin and see what shows up.