TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: RV style roof vent in tintop
tjet Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:04 pm

Has anyone installed a standard type RV roof vent in a tintop?

Something like this?

Type17 Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:10 am

I have not installed one in a tin top but I have in my high top. Other than the difference between cutting a hole in fiberglass vs sheet metal the install should be exactly the same, also yours isn't 10 feet up in the air!

These RV roof vents are designed to be installed into an insulated roof an inch or thicker so you'll need to make an internal frame to take up the difference. Cut out a piece of plywood and coated all sides with exterior all in one paint/primer, glued that to the roof and screwed the vent into the wood through the roof to sandwich the fiberglass. I don't see why this same method wouldn't work on a tin top, in fact I've seen these style vents installed on Bay window busses, Ford vans, sprinters, etc.

You could also go without the wood frame if you don't mind not having a it flush internally with the supplied trim ring. I'm sorry I don't have any pictures of my install but I'll do my best to answer any questions.

tjet Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:34 pm

Thanks for the input. Yeah the design on those vents really needs a thicker & flat roof. I also don't want to cut a hole where an internal structure frame runs across.

Still thinking about it...

Vanhalla Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:18 pm

One of these might be better, http://amzn.to/1U5r4uD
A smaller footprint to fit between roof ridges or supports. I have one in our Astro and no negatives so far after about a year.
I'm also thinking about putting one in my tintop with temperatures today getting up to 100 and we're heading out camping as soon as the Mrs. gets home.
There will be an angry little bear in camp tomorrow morning.

I did a quick write up on our very behind progress website http://www.vangolife.com/vans/fan-install
It's not a Vanagon but the same principle.

IdahoDoug Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:46 pm

TJ,

Consider installing a fan in the driver's D pillar where it can exhaust out through the plastic grille, or reversed it can draw air in from there. I am not sure I will have time with an engine rebuild on my hands, but this summer I was planning to install. With windows cracked, it can make a breeze through the van all night long and no worries about overhead leaks a year down the road, or car wash damage, rain cannot enter, etc.

Doug

tjet Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:57 pm

Yeah Doug, that's a better idea then mine. I've decided I'm not going to do my RV vent idea. I'm going to go a different route now with a bigger & much more expensive idea - haha....it's a sickness & I have it :lol:

newfisher Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:31 pm

Sliding sunroof sectional install with new headliner! FTW

tjet Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:28 pm

something even more functional... :wink:

newfisher Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:41 pm

Wait! Are you leaking the tin top coalition and going to the dark side?

madmax25 Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:22 am

Wanted to bump this thread, as I just bought the cheap metal vent as pictured in the OP. Getting ready to install it in my tintop above the rear bench. Will update with pics and progress as I dive into it, but wanted to see if anyone else has ventured into this territory recently and has any tips.

tencentlife Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:06 am

I would be sure to put it forward of the C-pillar bow, so if the tintop is ever converted to a poptop, the van wouldn't have an extra hole in the roof to be dealt with.

madmax25 Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:15 am

That’s a good point. I never plan on putting a top on it though, and it’s “till death do us part” for Big Red and I, so I’m not sweating that. I’ve got a 2/3 metal/wood rack on the roof that I plan on cutting enough slats out to clear it. Ideally on nice nights it’ll be a good port for seeing some stars while laying on the Z bed.

Zeitgeist 13 Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:07 pm

How about a couple of moonroofs?

https://www.dkhardware.com/sfc-17-x-17-his-n-hers-...-15348.htm

Since I have factory A/C, I'd like to put one on either side of the tunnel, above the front seats. A screen could be made for the opening when camping.

termuehlen Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:04 pm

If I were doing this, I would cut a "standard size" RV rough opening like 14-1/4" x 14-1/4". That way you have many choices of standard vents, powered vents, or likely even a solar powered one. If you don't like what you install, you will have other options in the future using the same opening.

A couple of options:
https://www.easternmarine.com/RV-Roof-Mount-Vents-Fans

djkeev Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:25 pm

madmax25 wrote: That’s a good point. I never plan on putting a top on it though, and it’s “till death do us part” for Big Red and I,...........

Why can't I stop laughing?

Nothing is forever, life changes while you are living it!

I built my Van for my lifetime. Instead of an off the shelf rebuilt alternator, I rebuilt mine, I even special ordered top quality bearings for it. The bearings alone cost more than any off the shelf rebuild!

But guess what? Life changed, we aren't camping anymore........ we didn't plan for it, we didn't anticipate it, it just happened........

Dave

madmax25 Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:34 pm

I have the larger size of that universal moonroof up front, and it’s one of the best mods I’ve done for daily driving and camping (except when I leave it open overnight during a surprise thunderstorm). They’re great too, because you can very easily unclip the hinges and remove the whole glass for the ‘full experience’.

The downside as I said, is that you can’t have it open at all when it’s raining/snowing. Also it does tend to dribble a few drops even when closed. Not good right over our faces while sleeping lol. I’m hoping this metal lid vent can be at least cracked in non-blowy rain without it gushing in like the all-glass flush design. Mostly looking for an extra vent in back when we have the pass through curtain in place (just behind the front seats) and the mr. Buddy heater going on cold days, and for the swampy Missouri summers.

madmax25 Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:46 pm

djkeev wrote:

Nothing is forever, life changes while you are living it!

Dave

All too true. I decided a while ago with the van though, that even though it is my most prized possession, that I would not be afraid to hack it up as I see fit as the years go by. It’s changed a lot since I took it over from my parents 10 years ago. It will change more in the next decade. I’m handy with a welder, and can always fix something down the road if it was a bad move. She wears the scars like we all do :)