TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: starter motor overheating
adamrush! Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:58 am

I've just fitted a new turn key engine (2017) but it's over heating the starter motor it's fitted in my type3, I've tried 2 starters with the same problem. Any ideas?

raul arrese Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:43 am

Well has the motor ever run ?? how does the motor turn by hand ?? 3 starters ?? somthing isnt right ...

rockurob Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:34 am

ground strap from the body to the trans ?? u have ??
not having one will make the starter hot

adamrush! Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:21 am

Yes engine is ran in had it started, will double check earth straps but did clean them up as gearbox went in.

Dale M. Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:40 am

Over heating starter is from cranking to long.... Let starter rest between cranking sessions, if motor is hard starting that may be problem and may not be starter motor...

Dale

drumbum68 Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:11 am

Try doubling up your ground.

adamrush! Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:13 am

Just checked all earth's all OK, not cranking for too long and it gets too hot to touch, engine turns over fine and have had a started briefly

kokanee Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:49 am

Starter bushing in the trans is bad or not there

FreeBug Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:09 pm

If the bushing in the transmission has play, that can happen, and drain the battery quick.

The principle behind the invention of the starter motor is that it cannot be used for any continuous length of time, say over 5-10 secs or so.

There's also a 12V and 6V version of that bushing, different diameters.

miniman82 Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:23 pm

6v starter on a 12v system? :?

Cusser Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:24 pm

adamrush! wrote: Just checked all earth's all OK, not cranking for too long and it gets too hot to touch, engine turns over fine and have had a started briefly

1. New engine will have more friction.

2. My guess is that engine of that size has higher compression than stock and will be tougher to spin.

3. Engine spins and starts, are you sure there is a real problem? Some of us - even in Arizona desert - have never felt or measured our starter's temperatures.

4. Self-supported autostick starters have a little more oomph.