TheSamba.com Forums
 
  View original topic: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 47, 48, 49  Next
sgellis Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:04 pm

Put the engine on the stand. Much more solid than I expected.
Good news. End play look good. The pots are nice and smooth. Pistons tight. They are 1500. Heads look great. Will inspect the oil pump.
So will get valves done, new rings, crank seals, pushrod tubes, oil pickup screen and new oil cooler. Oil cooler is bent and damp.
Probably should have cleaned the block before the head came off...




sgellis Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:08 pm

Finally assembled my rollers. Makes moving the bus around the shop much easier.


sgellis Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:21 pm

Block is mostly clean. Don't know how to get it much better without media blasting.



sgellis Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:54 pm

Sandblaster finally arrived today. Assembled and tried it out. Very happy. seams well built.

Going to get a pressure regulator for it though. Seems to work best at 60-70 psi with 80 grit.



sgellis Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:09 pm

Finished my brake tonight. Made out of 1"x2" tubing and 1/2" bolts. Bends 18g very well. It is 24" wide but not sure how well it will work full width with 18g. The top tube flips over for a larger radius bend.

Kind of wish I hadn't purchased the outriggers...



sgellis Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:44 pm

Ordered my engine parts so I can get it out of the way. Blasted the pots with 70 grit and sprayed them with a bare metal treatment. I will pick up some flat black high heat paint and give them a thin coat.


sgellis Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:15 pm

Started blasting the bottom with 40 grit sand. Silica free. Spraying with a high zinc paint as I go. Biggest pain is scrapping off all the undercoating witch doesn't blast well. This was one 50 lb bag worth of blasting. Recovered most of the sand. Will see how it work second time around. Going to take a few days.




Alexmobil Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:10 pm

Loving this thread.

sgellis Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:41 pm

Alexmobil wrote: Loving this thread.
Thanks!

A large pipe wrench works great for removing bends in the frame. I used a block of steel and a hammer to make the lip nice and straight after.




sgellis Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:01 pm

Think this is the worst part done. Pain to scraped all that undercoating off the cross members. Getting the hang of the blaster though. Using a smaller tip gives it more cutting power where the rust is deeper. Used another bag and screened and reused it twice. It seams to work well.





What to do with the pitting? Think I will just paint over the small pitting. The paint should fill in a lot of it.

sgellis Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:18 pm

Added last piece to the rotisserie. Realized the extra rotation will be useful.





sgellis Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:22 pm

Little more blasting today. Can reuse the sand twice before a noticeable drop in cutting power.

Removed most of the dogleg so I can start rebuilding the corner.




sgellis Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:58 pm

Bit more blasting. Beginning to think blasting is not my favourite thing... looks great though.



sgellis Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:11 am

More blasting today. Trying some glass grit. Cuts well and very little dust. Looks like it can be reused a few times. Need to get finer stuff though. This was 30-40 grit and needed the large tip for the blaster. Compressor couldn't keep up.



sgellis Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:16 am

Anyone have the height of the bumper bracket slot? Mine have had the bottom cut out some.


sgellis Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:04 pm

I put on a thin layer of high heat paint. Have all the parts to assemble the engine just need to clean the heads.


sgellis Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:26 pm

Heads cleaned up. Started to blast the valve covers but the fist one was a little thin. Will need some new ones.

Almost time to assemble the engine. Considering splitting the block and giving it a good cleaning. Had a lot of sludge in it...





sgellis Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:47 am

Been a busy couple weeks so haven't made any progress. Did get some blasting done today though. Using fine glass grit and it seams to work very well. Will see how it does the second time around.
My shear finally shipped so I will be staring reassembly of the bottom soon.



Nuts were ripped out for pan. I will remove a small section, straighten and weld a nut on the back before welding it back in.

brettsvw Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:34 am

sgellis wrote:


I can see why you want to change out dash.


Rather than patch, I decided to replace whole dash.






sgellis Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:51 am

brettsvw wrote: I can see why you want to change out dash.



Also the lower windshield frame needs replacing and my replacement dash has a good lower frame. Not sure if I will try to put it in as one piece or disassemble the frame and install one part at a time. Was toying with cutting the nose across about 2" down from windshield and butt wielding it back.



Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group