TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 47, 48, 49
sgellis Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:58 pm

Making my winter list

add a reserve valve
Finish rear bumper
Rebuild correct fuel pump
Restore jack
Fill ashtray hole. Think I will 3D print a vase to go in the hole
Restore gas heater
Splash pan
Rebuild steering box
All new door seals. Ones I have are cheep and don't seal well.
Rebuild spare engine and transmission

Alot of these were on last year's list...

mandraks Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:19 pm

ideas for the ashtray hole:

convert to USB charging station
convert to GPS holder

not shooting down the vase idea, just thinking of things people want in their cars today.

sgellis Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:54 pm

mandraks wrote: ideas for the ashtray hole:

convert to USB charging station
convert to GPS holder

not shooting down the vase idea, just thinking of things people want in their cars today.

I have duel USB hidden under the dash and a suction cup cell mount on dash. I will leave a little notch for the mount's wireless charger cable.

We keep sticking flowers in the ashtray hole though. :) I may try to find an ashtray cover and paint it so it looks like a real ashtray when closed.

sgellis Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:37 pm

Time to get the bus out soon. Still salt on the roads but that should get washed of in a week or two if we don't get any more winter weather.

So getting the rear bumper done. Only a couple years behind scheduled. Basically needed a skim coat of filler over the complete bumper. I hope to paint it this week so the bus can be moved from storage into the shop.

sgellis Yesterday 5:35 am

Primer on the bumper parts.

Looks good but will need a few coats and sanding. Back side of bumper needs work though. Lots of rust pitting so a quick skim coat of filler should do.