TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: How do you restore the inside of this vent?
Westy Steve Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:01 am

Hey guys,

I've got rust inside the air vent above my decklid. You know, the vent between the rear window and the decklid shown below.

I think I can figure out how to get the rust out. But how do you paint it and make it look decent?

(note: in case you're wondering, in this photo there is some dried wax or something on the bottom of the tines on the air vent that cleaned up nicely...that's not rust).

TIA,

Steve

CB75 Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:05 pm

I'm pretty sure I read it here a while ago that you could either drill it out and remove it. Then paint it outside the car and speed grip it back in when the car is painted. And also one person just kinda stuck a gun in there got it covered good and then wiped the runs away on the grill. that's prob the route I'm gonna go

Danpa Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:53 pm

Airbrush?

Mike Fisher Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:58 am

Small spot sand blaster & then air brush.

Westy Steve Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:53 pm

Sounds like it's air brush for the win!

I was toying with the idea of getting one anyway to do spot painting of the interior, so this should work well. Wish I had thought of it as the solution for my vent.

Thanks all!

Hmmm...any suggestions for a cheap sand blaster that will actually work? I own a nice air compressor if that matters.

Danpa Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:04 am

If you want the sandblaster just to remove the rust inside the vent area, why not just spray some Ospho in there, rinse it and then paint.

Dan