TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Front firewall WW or KlassicFab?
WADVR Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:34 pm

Hello,

Looking for advice - I need to replace the front firewall and lower supports. I see WW has a complete firewall and supports for $72 while I was originally looking at the Klassic Fab firewall and supports for $240. I am about to purchase Klassic Fab heater channels and would like to combine the order to possibly save shipping cost. But is there $168 difference in the two parts? This is for a '67. I have used OG metal where I could but these parts haven't been easily sourced in rust free condition.

Thanks in advance,

https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111805451GX

https://www.klassicfab.com/klassicfab/en/92-front-firewall

https://www.klassicfab.com/klassicfab/en/front-firewall800-kft1-60-front-inner-firewall-beetle.html

60ragtop Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:52 pm

the WW is a one size fits all while classic fab looks like it fits early bugs?
second link no good for them

67ctbug Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:34 pm

I bought one from CIP1 and cut the top off to ise the bottom half and it's good. It fits well just some of the stampings are a bit different I think it was like $70. I think it may be the same as Wolfsbürg west.

WADVR Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:26 pm

RE second link for Klassic Fab, strange as it displays on my phone but not on the PC.

67ctbug, thanks that gives me some hope.

60ragtop, that could be, I will have to email and find out.

Ive been really trying to only use top grade or OG parts and read the horror stories about some of the aftermarket.

WADVR Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:43 pm

Update for anyone interested. I ordered the Wolfsburg West front firewall and will not end up using it. I could manipulate the metal enough to make it work but the metal is thin and the stamping is not the same as my 1967. I did know the stamping would not be the same and was ok with that for the cost savings at the time. to get it to even fit I had to modify the lower side to clear the heater channel flanges not the end of the world and honestly it isn't all that bad, If the material was thicker I would probably overlook the issues at hand but it is rather tinny. I am also looking forward to the Klassic Fab 2 piece design so I can properly weld the heater channel flange to the outer skin of the firewall and then weld on the inner portion. Might be a small detail but worth the $168 difference for me. Mid January I will be ordering the Klassic Fab firewall.

theKbStockpiler Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:44 am

What is the gauge of the original? I would think it would be impossible to find a replacement one thicker than 22 gauge.

That WW piece does not look long enough from heater channel to heater channel. How would you have worked with that? :?

WADVR Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:10 am

The firewall width is correct-wheelhouse to wheelhouse other than the sloppy bend that allows for a lot of manipulation. The inner portion actually fits well on the passenger side but yes the drivers side is short. I also need to lower the whole firewall as the gap to the pan hump is excessive. In lowering the whole piece the fitment to the heater channels would tighten up some, probably not enough on the drivers side so I would recontour the flange to better fit the channel. Not ideal or as strong and I am not confident that the gap over the pan hump would ever be correct and seal. The Wolfsburg West sourced body/ pan seal is not as large as the old swollen factory seal. Right now the gap is 1/4" or better and the heater channels are sitting directly on the pan, no seal.

Not sure on guage but it certainly feels thinner, I might go out and find a non rusted part of my original firewall, measure and compare. I hope the Klassic Fab piece is thicker material but if not at least I can assemble it the way I want with if nothing else no gap where the heater channels weld to the front of the firewall.