TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Manual Transaxle oil cooler: FILTERING Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17
ALIKA T3 Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:20 pm

Hey guys!

I'm looking at new cheaper industrial options for filtering, like Donaldson catalogs.
What is the maximum filtration efficiency before it starts to be detrimental to the oil quality? ( filtering additives for examples).
Swepco 201 is 80W90, according to viscosity charts in Centistokes, it is around 80 Cst?? I find it very low , not that I know anything but for example a 4 micron fuel ( diesel oil) filter from Donaldson has a 100 Cst max recommendation for fluidity. So that could work?

Sodo, you never answered my question where you bought your Magnom 5 clear bowl filter and alternatively at what price? That chunk is rather pricey in UK :/

I'm trying to find a clear bowl to drop in just the element magnets to make a cheaper one, but it's rather difficult to find heat resistant bowls...

Aloha!

ALIKA T3 Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:51 pm

Crickets: I think I found the answer to my question about filtration limitation. It’s 15 microns to be safe.

Page 3 of this Chevron PDF
https://www.chevronlubricants.com/content/dam/exte...ighRes.pdf

Some interesting read from a website I shared before about calculations to select the proper lubricant 8)

https://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/1318/tribology-lubricant-selection

rmcd Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:52 pm

This is the third flush on my Syncro trans rebuild for science fiction curiosity.

For this third flush I had been running Swepco 210 and shifting while the motor was cold (ambient temp didn't seem to matter) was nearly impossible until the motor and trans has warmed up. Then it shifted butter smooth. FYI. The whole shifting system has been rebuilt while still running Swepco 210 with no change in shifting ease.

I dropped the magnet during the current refill but once fished out of the drain tub there was nothing significant on the magnet. So no pictures of that.

Here is the Blackstone test and comments. Things are looking better according to the numbers.

Lost of glitter.

Below are the past test results since the AA rebuild.

04/20/2019 1500 miles on initial rebuild fluid of unknown type.
07/21/2019 1200 miles on second run of FLAPs fluid. This batch is settling in a clear glass lemonade jug. Any requests for science?

And today. 10/31/2020 4733 miles on third run of Swepco 210.

I replaced this fill with Swepco 201. Shifting is still very difficult at startup.

rmcd wrote: Second flush using inexpensive gear oil. Another 1200 or so miles. Some run at 70 on flat interstate and a couple trips up mt hood. Oil had some fairy dust swirl look to it but not as shiny as the first break-in oil.

Magnesium jumped. Might be drilling talings from adding a temp sender? Or I’m eating my case? Iron still high. What is phosphorus from? Oil itself or tranny parts?

I’m on the fence about running another round of cheap stuff for a bit before going swepco?

rmcd wrote: More to chew on. Literally.

This is break-in oil after a full rebuild. Maybe 1500 miles on the oil. Blackstone report says it all. Particulates typical for a transaxle with 49,000 miles. Then again isn’t that the point of dumping break-in oil?

As posted above.

Lots of small metal slivers on the magnet. Almost none settled out into the pan and could be picked up by another magnet but the oil shimmered like the mane of a golden unicorn!

I’m running some 80wt through another 500+ miles and will test again before putting in swepco.

4Gears4Tires Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:39 am

https://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/products/other-oils...fluid.html

Pennzoil Syncromesh vastly improved my cold shifts.

rmcd Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:45 pm

Roger that. I will try that next. Thanks

Sodo Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:01 pm

Check this out.....

A novel passive filtration system for splash-lubricated gearboxes: Part 1

This 2020 research paper describes a "novel" passive gearbox filtering method
where heavier steel particles move downward by gravity
then are sequestered
- not allowed to return to the lubrication area of the sump.

Settling by gravity during the time that the machine is not running.

I envisioned myself accepting lubrication awards,
sauntering onstage to accept a "nice plaque":,
as Oil industry CEO trophy wives gazed upon me, longingly.

Well I thought it was "novel" a few years ago and obvioulsy had no way to know better.
But these guys should know, and they are calling it "novel" in 2020.

Steve Arndt Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:35 pm

My last magnet inspection and oil change looked much better than now. Roller / needle bearings and lots of metal on the magnet. Time for it's first rebuild. I hope it isn't all garbage. Original 87 syncro trans with ~ 210,000 miles. My last change and inspection was on page 12 here, 2 years ago for reference at 202k. I wish it looked that good still. We broke.

It made no noise or indication of trouble until it all quit, with no power transfer in one instant moment in 2nd gear. Coasted to the side and towed home. Here are the pics. I will pull the bell housing and inspect a bit further.

Syncro Jael Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:42 pm

:cry:

tjet Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:37 pm

I need to get one of these to add to my trans. It turns on a red light on the dash if a piece of metal touches both magnets.

Sorry, I cant read the part number, and its already reinstalled. Its from a PT-6 if anyone is interested.

erste Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:58 pm

Steve Arndt, sorry about your transaxle.

tjet wrote: Sorry, I cant read the part number, and its already reinstalled. Its from a PT-6 if anyone is interested.
wow. that's cool.

T3TRIS Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:14 pm

tjet wrote: I need to get one of these to add to my trans. It turns on a red light on the dash if a piece of metal touches both magnets.

Sorry, I cant read the part number, and its already reinstalled. Its from a PT-6 if anyone is interested.

Can’t wait for Sodo to chime in on this one.
And yeah, really sorry to hear about the failure!

ALIKA T3 Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:02 pm

Didn't Sodo make one?

Sodo Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:57 pm

Steve that sucks.
Yours is the 4th Syncro I've heard about in the past seven days.
But luckily #3 "sounds like" it was mostly an owner listening too hgard.
All fingers and all toes crossed, hoping that was it for #3.... (gertiebob's Gunther)

I made a chip detector but haven't put it in a trans yet.
So the idea is that it would light an LED somewhere that would tell you that your magnet has stuff on it.
Same as the red light in tjet's PT-6 👍🏽👍🏽

EDIT -------------> I made a new thread for this Transaxle gear oil chip detector

gears Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:38 am

VERY cool addition

dkoesyncro Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:54 am

Very cool idea, congratulations!
Another win for the preservation of these gear boxes.
Do the numbers change based on total amount or density of debris on magnet?

Sodo Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:03 am

dkoe it might, but I didn't test it.
And you can bet that I will !!

I made a new thread for this Transaxle gear oil chip detector

ALIKA T3 Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:47 am

tjet wrote: I need to get one of these to add to my trans. It turns on a red light on the dash if a piece of metal touches both magnets.

It's called a MCD, magnetic chip detector, used in aviation, hence the plane in the background I bet 😁

Steve Arndt Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:11 pm

Jake Raby and LN Engineering have a kit to install that magnetic chip detector into failure prone porsche M96 engines. Raby knew about them from his time with helicopters in the marines.

big swifty Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:36 pm

I have completed the first transaxle oil change after a FULL rebuild with all new parts. The build thread is here https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=725130. I relocated shortly before the pandemic began and was extremely busy; the $yncro sat undriven for quite a long while. I had put about ~600 mile on the new box with the modifications. Have driven around the block a few times just to keep things moving. I have finally had the inertia to change the fluids.

Here are the pics.

There is lots of empty space on the magnet. The black debris is not particulate at all really. Feels smooth between the fingers.

I plan another change at the same interval.

Overall, I’m quite pleased with the results of the rebuild and the filtering/cooling modifications.

plug

filter

plates

plates

magnets