TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Line Lock for better safer parking/camping
Honuak Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:48 pm

Like many with disc conversion in the rear I have a parking brake that does not inspire confidence. Now I have kids, a wife and a dog..(I blame the van for at least one of the kids..). Camping with kids bouncing around the van potentially knocking it out of gear makes me nervous. I put chock blocks out if we are camping on uneven ground, but even with blocks there are times when the van is up on leveling blocks a bit...I'd like all the stability I can get.

For years I've wanted to put a line lock in. I'd leave the parking brake I have and add hydraulic line locks (could do front and rear, or just rear). It would be important to avoid electric solenoid versions meant for the drag strip.
I think you would depress the brake pedal then actuate the valve manually. It seems like this could fit nicely above the existing hand brake mounted vertically.

Anyone done this?

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=hydraulic+line+lock+kit..._nr_p_85_1

djkeev Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:01 pm

I don't see why it wouldn't work.

My concern would be that hydraulics rarely fail at rest.
If you are going to pop a wheel cylinder or bypass something, it will happen under pressure,
To put on a never ending pressure for hours, days, weeks even, I'd be very concerned about a hydraulic failure.

But, I’m the guy who rarely uses a parking brake.
Too much risk of the shoes rusting to the drum or too high of a chance of warping a drum when applied hot.

Keep chocking…….

Dave