TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Super rare Thing??
GI Joe Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:28 pm

How rare can This Thing be?? Pretty darn cool, and if it Isn't truly a factory hardtop, then someone did a Great job!!
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1963567

mondshine Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:39 pm

Wow-
Wish I had that car this afternoon when I got caught in the rain.

Some interesting details in those photos:
The ribbed engine cover.
The side windows look similar to "Thing Shop, yet not the same.
I wonder if the white part of the roof is metal or fiberglass.
Does the AC evaporator dump condensation into the tunnel?
It looks like they didn't want to remove the inside door latches when they painted it.
The engine looks like a dual port but the fan shroud looks like Brazilian "Puma" style; unusual muffler too.

I can't imagine the noise level in there at speed.
None the less, it looks like a cool car.
Good luck to the seller and the buyer :D

GI Joe Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:35 pm

Ref cabin noise....
I had a '65 CJ5 with a steel hardtop....
Holy COW was that ridiculously loud and echoey!!!!

The doors look like they ar steel on the top as well.. Like "regular" car doors...(?)

mondshine Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:02 pm

When I was a young man, I did some photography in a plant in Fort Wayne where they built cement mixers like this:

They put rocks in the drums to test them.

I guess that's what it sounds like :wink:

Is it a true "factory" Thing?
I don't know; is a Westfailia camper a true "factory" VW? Technically no.
They are shipped as incomplete vehicles, and production is finalized by the vendor (Westfalia).

Shoyrtt Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:12 pm

I wonder why there are hinges on the windshield frame?

Is it a factory car, or did a dealer send it out to a shop in Sydney for the conversion?

I owned a 85 Toyota 4Runner a few years ago. It had a badge on the tailgate like you see on an RV or Trailer manufactured in the US. Turns out Toyota shipped some of the early 4Runners as a "truck" and then had them converted to an SUV by adding a rear seat and avoiding some of the tariffs and taxes.

mondshine Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:40 pm

As the Kubel Treffen veterans know, the windshield hinges are for the drive in movies :wink:

It looks like the roof actually overhangs the windshield frame slightly.

It is a cool car; just out of reach for me (in more ways than one).

hitest Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:34 pm

Whether or not rare- the painter should have taken better care of the details if the expectation of $39k was the plan.

tallman206 Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:18 pm

Engine may likely be a late model type 126 industrial engine, with dual carbs added afterward. I don't think I see heater boxes, just the shoe-box ductwork under the cylinders. Won't give the 74 much heat, but who needs it in most of Australia? The muffler looks like it may be an industrial. The coil looks like the cheap aluminium brazilian or mexican version. Perhaps this engine originally had a magneto? or was a crate motor.

Solomon Grundy Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:35 pm

The plot thickens... :shock:

From post:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=682117
++++++