TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Rare and Beautiful 35mm color slides just found of CA. VW Club Page: 1, 2  Next
Blauchen L331 Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:01 pm

I was very lucky to have acquired some rare and beautiful 35mm Kodachrome slides and photos of a mid to late 1950's California VW club.

This long defunct club was called the VW.O.C.LA the Volkswagen Owners Club Of Los Angeles.

Private membership card #302 of the VW.O.C.LA issued to Albert J. Kuhn of Los Angeles in 1959.

Albert and his lovely wife owned a beautiful L 240 Agave Green/Tan leatherette 1957 Export Oval window sedan, which will be featured here in this thread.
(in photos and color 35mm "Red Border" Kodachrome slides taken by Albert from 1958 to ca. 1965).

An original Meeting/Direction Map card from the VW.O.C.LA (ca. 1959)

The VW.O.C.L.A. used to meet at the Recreation Building at Elysian Park, Los Angeles (near the L.A.P.D. Pistol Range/now Dodgers Stadium) The building is still there, but it's used by the park services now....

"No Particular Place To Go"

The VW.O.C.LA is back at it again, taking a tour through Southeastern California (in March 1958) .......with a BRAND NEW L 41 1958 Beetle Sedan , a L 329 1957 Cabriolet, a 1957 L 240 Oval Sedan and a 1957 L331 Oval Sunroof Sedan.
Parked somewhere on a side road in California.....

The VW.O.C.LA was a active little club, sadly up till now I've found out nothing new, about the club or any of the people in it?
They had about 15 to 20 vehicles in the club (at the time of the photos/slides) ranging from years ca. 1955 to 1958, mostly Beetles, a Bus a early Ghia and a 1957 356A Porsche coupe...
(If anyone seeing these slides and photos recognizes anyone, or anyplace please let me know) :)

"Follow the leader"

The L 41 Beetle leads the way, driving to somewhere in Southeastern California

"Lunch Break"

The VW.O.C.LA is takes a roadside break somewhere in Southeastern California......
(that 1957 L 240 Agave Green Oval Window Beetle featured here belonged to Albert Kuhn and was registered California "HSU 981", much more about this Oval Window in later posts. :)

I will be posting more slides soon and also some Black N' White pictures taken about the same time. :)

If anyone has information, history, or even more slides or photos of this particular club, please let me know. :D

Thanks,

Tom

****All color slides and photos © copyrighted ownership of the Albert J. Kuhn/Tom Eitnier collection - no unauthorized use outside of this web page allowed.****

Mr. OGPaint Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:40 pm

SOOOOOOOO COOOOOOL!!!!! Thanks. Please post any more vintage stuff or info about the club. Exciting!

tasb Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:50 pm

My December 1955 Beetle was owned by an LAPD officer. He bought it for his wife and had it delivered on Valentines Day 1956. I have all the documentation since new. I doubt that he was a club member but he may have seen the club meetings near the park and the pistol range that could have peaked his interest. His name was Robert Trembly. Thanks for sharing.

René R. Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:31 pm

Those are terrific! Thanks for posting them. It looks like a modern VW show. Hard to imagine they were taken when the cars were new, or nearly so.

empiracer Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:54 pm

Looks like all the cars are sporting Wide Whites, Just noticing :wink:

Blauchen L331 Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:45 pm

This was also together with the original VW.O.C.LA paperwork.

Don't know anything about this dealer, suppose it was a Los Angeles Foreign Car dealership, not just Volkswagen?

When was the last time you did a Gymkhana with a Oval Window VW? ;)

Tom

Blauchen L331 Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:05 pm

Thanks everyone for the nice words..... :D

Ultramoron ~ Yes, back then there were very few VW clubs in the USA, this very well could be the FIRST Southern Californian club not affiliated with the VWCA (Volkswagen Club Of America) which I believe started in 1955?

Tasb ~ really great story, yes by the site of the L.A.P.D. pistol range, it's sure that if he was there on the club's Monday's meetings, he must have seen the cars collected there.

René R ~ Yes, that's what I thought when I saw the slides for the first time, that look like a modern meet almost, the mass of cars less than a full year old. ;)

Empiracer ~ Yes, and with all the cars being less than a full year old, shows that 100% of the USA sold cars at least there in Southern California had Wide Whites on them as it was the 1950's fad for nearly all cars.....INCLUDING the Volkswagen. :D

I'm sure this was a very tight knit little club back then, when owners relied on each other for help and suggestions, while spare parts and repair experience were few and far in-between, some EX-GI's I'm sure would know VW's but for the average person from Los Angles they rarely had ever seen such an odd little car with the motor in the back in 1958/9.

I'll be posting more slides and photos soon.

Enjoy!

Tom

aa390392 Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:27 pm

Thanks for sharing very So.Cal. nostalgia.
Thomas

0nebadbug Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:59 pm

8) _ :arrow:

Ted2 Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:00 am

Thanks for sharing.

Blauchen L331 Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:44 pm

More vintage slides from the VW.O.C.LA this time featuring some "Lowlight" Karmann Ghia's. :D

A L 330 trout blue Karmann Ghia coupe is actively taking part in a VW.O.C.LA Gymkhana. (June 1959).

Beautiful L 41 black Karmann Ghia coupe with lots of custom chrome trim and Continental sports tires with wire wheels, headrests and who knows what motor was in this one? Maybe a Porsche 356?

A very pretty car with an enthusiastic proud owner, has anyone ever seen this car before?
(Car show name unknown, but the slide was taken in 1964.)

Enjoy!

Tom

aa390392 Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:16 pm

As kid growin up in So.Cal. I recall seeing a lot of VW'S/ Porsche 's sporting knockoffs, on their hubs, and never knew how they were attached. That Ghia is wearing them, but not the wires.
Thomas

stale air Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:30 am

Awesome info and pics! Thanks for posting!

Blauchen L331 Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:38 pm

Thanks Volks.....

I'll be posting the rest of the club slides and Black N White photos shortly.

Tom

Blauchen L331 Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:44 pm

More California Gymkhana......

The VW.O.C.LA member with the beautiful L41 Black 1958 Beetle Sedan, is seen here having some driving fun of a Gymkhana in June 1959.

Enjoy!

Tom

P.S. Ohh I have some Oval photos coming up soon, I just would like to keep all the clubs photos and slides together in one thread. :)

Blauchen L331 Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:33 pm

Parking at the Gymkhana......

The Kuhn's *goofin off* in the parking lot together with California "HSU 981" their 1957 L 240 Agave Green/Tan Leatherette Oval Window Beetle. :)
(June 1959)

Enjoy!

Tom

P.S. There will be more photos and color slides of the Kuhn's Oval window posted here.........stay tuned! ;)

joey1320 Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:13 am

Great photos. Thanks for sharing them.

Blauchen L331 Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:10 pm

I have bought over 220+ color slides from the estate of Albert J. Kuhn and his wife, only a few have been scanned by the sellers and now I have to invest in a very good scanner, good enough to scan 35mm color slides and Medium 120 format photos from the family's scrapbook.

Anyone have any suggestions for a affordable (under $100) scanner that will do a good enough job to scan for the net please write me to my email:
[email protected]

Thanks,

Tom

Blauchen L331 Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:11 pm

Enjoying the scenery with the VW.O.C.LA Southern California.

Our little convoy of 4 VW's (Still from the same slides at the top of the page) take two parking break's now to admire some beautiful scenery somewhere in Southern California?
(does anyone at the Samba recognise the area these 4 photos might have been taken at?)

.......a continuation of the *Road Trip* color slides with the Volkswagen Owners Club of Los Angeles, March 1958......

Tom

P.S. The Kuhn's L 240 Agave Green/Tan leatherette Oval was bought at Storey-Ricketts Volkswagen in Long Beach, sometime in 1957.....
Note, in the second photo down: ~ those accessory brake lights installed into the air vent chamber corners, very odd.

Blauchen L331 Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:12 pm

"Meeting under the Palms"

More March 1958 color slides from the club...........in this *Road Trip* more cars, a few more Oval's and a *Pressed Bumper* 1956/7 or 8? - TV & HI-FI Repair Bus from an LA based company of ~ "Olson & Crawford" ~ Does anyone KNOW this bus and it it SURVIVED?

I did have someone over at the VVWPS told me that the photos in the first and the last posting may have been taken at the clubs meeting place Elysian Park and also at Chavez Ravine (Stadium Way) I guess what is now Dodgers Stadium in Los Angeles.

If anyone recognises any of the places seen in the slides from 1958 please let me know.

Sadly as I may have mentioned before the Kuhn's who owned the Agave Green Oval to the best of my knowledge have passed away and I guess any of these club members would be in their late 80's into their 90's by now, I'm glad I have these slides and photos, but I wish I could find out more about their nice little club.....

Enjoy the photos,

Tom