TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Exhaust support welding?
Stephenmarklay Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:01 pm

Draining my coolant I noticed that one for he exhaust supports snapped up at the flange bolted at the block. Can a muffler shop weld likely weld that back?

Terry Kay Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:47 pm

If they have a welder--why not?

Ask them first.

Wildthings Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:01 pm

I altered the arms on my 83 1/2 so that the arms were either in tension or compression with no or very minor bending moments. Never had a problem with the arms breaking again.

Stephenmarklay Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:20 am

Thank you Wildthings. Can you give me any more info? That sounds like a good thing!

Wildthings Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:23 am

Stephenmarklay wrote: Thank you Wildthings. Can you give me any more info? That sounds like a good thing!

Basically you are only wanting to attach the support arms at their ends so there are no bending moments on them. If one arm attaches to another somewhere besides at its end then that will cause the arm to flex and potentially break. My system never lent itself well to taking pictures, but I will look and see what other pictures I can find.

Ahwahnee Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:02 am

If it is the support itself that broke... I have made replacements for missing supports from electrical conduit flattened at each end and painted black.

Have lasted for years and would require close scrutiny to tell they are not original.

Stephenmarklay Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:59 am

Ahwahnee wrote: If it is the support itself that broke... I have made replacements for missing supports from electrical conduit flattened at each end and painted black.

Have lasted for years and would require close scrutiny to tell they are not original.

Very cool. I like this fix. Yes mine is an upper one however.

Rocky Mountain Westy Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:10 am

I have lots of good used supports. PM me if you would like to buy one.

Thanks, Mike