TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: This day in history Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 39, 40, 41  Next
Q-Dog Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:53 am

50 years ago, Hurricane Camille slammed into the gulf coast, wiping out most of the coastal Mississippi.
https://www.nola.com/news/article_59e4830e-bf94-11e9-bdf2-fb8bb8e51268.html

KTPhil Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:48 am

Fifty years... much gained, but so much again lost.. we've got to get ourselves back to the garden...

APPLEGREENVW Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:59 pm

Joe 20 Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:17 pm

September 1st. 1939 World War 2 began 80 years ago today. :cry:

VOLKSWAGNUT Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:24 pm

TheSamba.com. came back online after a 24+ hour shut down....

... I recommend donations to the greatest FREE classic Vw resource available on the planet Earth ever created.

I for one... am very thankful of this interweb voodoo magical information access. =D>

One wrong electronic pulse and it all or most could be gone...

Think about that..

Happy Labor Day (USA)

Zundfolge1432 Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:39 pm

I’m with you, wouldn’t it be to see more little gold stars showing some support?

67rustavenger Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:59 pm

Zundfolge1432 wrote: I’m with you, wouldn’t it be Nice to see more little gold stars showing some support?
Fixed it for ya Dr. Z.

I don't have any other social media than the samba to share my antidotes, successes and failures.
When the site was down for 24 hours. I surfed a bit on the other VW based forums. What a pathetic experience that turned out to be.
STF gets something like 3 fresh posts a day.
VW Vortex even worse.
I really missed the daily posts and interaction with other members here during the downtime. It sucked!

I proudly contribute to this site every month for the collaboration and freely shared information that wasn't available 20 years ago just before I took a break from VW's.

A high post count. Does not constitute a free ride. Well, maybe Altrup gets a free ride. :D
But nobody else should! :evil:

Rant over. Carry on.

calvinater Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:18 pm

Quote: A high post count. Does not constitute a free ride. Well, maybe Altrup gets a free ride. :D
But nobody else should! :evil

I would add Modok to that short list.

KTPhil Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:31 am

A second day that will live in infamy...

67ctbug Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:46 pm

A couple of years ago, I visited 1 WTC and the memorial pools. I wasn’t born at the time of the attacks but it’s still crazy to think that it was 18 years ago. I remember the 10th anniversary and now we’re coming up on 20. My uncle was in the city in midtown and remembers the dust flooding the streets and having to run into a building. It was just a very somber yet gratifying experience to visit the place it happened. What saddens me though, is hearing about people my age and older who sit on the plaques around the bases of the pools and throw trash in. I understand taking pictures and selfies, to me the selfie is the equivalent of asking someone to take a picture of you and I understand they want to remember they went there, but throwing trash in is just extremely disrespectful to me.

Fish Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:27 pm

I woke up at 6:00am PST and turn on the news like I did everyday before work. It was about 15 minutes after the first plane hit and no one (news broadcasters) knew what was truly going on yet. As I walked out the door after the second plane hit, I told my high school & college age kids they can stay home today, but if they did go to school to be very weary of things out of the ordinary today. Something's not right with the world. I was on the road to work when the first tower fell.
I'll never forget.

Zundfolge1432 Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:02 pm

I choose to remember Luis Alvarez who has since died of cancer and the legion of other first responders who went into this hell to help others. Rather than blame a religion or some political idea. Although I was 1200 miles away it effected us too.

KTPhil Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:13 pm

Back to the topic... yes, thanks for mentioning the first responders. They ran into danger, not from it.

The news this morning listed three firemen(?) who are the children of some of those first responders we lost... continuing the bravery and sacrifice of their parent(s) who inspired them. Boy, THAT made me realize how long it's been, though it seems so recent and raw.

Today I am thankful for them and their values of doing what we must, not doing what is easy. I don't have words up to the task.

67_13Deluxe Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:37 pm

Definitely a bad day. I was sitting in 3rd Battalion 10th Marines Headquarters trying to get a new field artillery computer system to talk to an old computer system. Gunny walks in and says a plane hit the WTC. Then he comes back in and says another one hit the other tower. We knew what was going on after that. Camp Lejeune security turned into a nightmare that day and I thougt I was being deployed. Not that day. 2 years later though.

sb001 Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:03 pm

From my 02 visit to ground zero

Never forget

(And yes I realize these photos will probable be deleted in the very near future, but I don't subscribe to a photo hosting site.)

67ctbug Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:11 pm

I hope Everett considers leaving these up.

EverettB Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:19 pm

Moderator note:
Political crap was removed
Anything else will be deleted on sight

Pics above were moved to the Shows/Trip category, let's pretend it's part of an overall trip thread. :)

Fish Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:40 pm

On an lighter note. Last Friday the 13th was the 50th anniversary of the first episode of Scooby-Doo.

finster Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:16 am

september 15th - battle of britain day

Zundfolge1432 Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:47 am

1983 Beruit Lebanon 241 service members, most of them Marines, were killed in a suicide truck bombing. I used to work with a guy that survived this, he offered greater insight than the press reported.