TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 1969 Squareback "The Flying Dutchman" Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
LandalftheGray Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:17 pm

Hey everyone, my name is Landon! I'm 21, and I've wanted a VW for about 10 years or so. It finally happened, so here we go..

I sold my '06 Toyota Tacoma in about March 2016 and bought this '69 Squareback in April. It was owned by a few people prior and purchased from Samba member, OhHerrooo! Steve was an awesome guy who put a lot of work into it, and I'm honored to have such a beautiful vessel.. this will just be a thread of whatever modifications I do to it in the future to make it mine. Steve also has a topic in the forums regarding his time owning it, which gives some good insight into what it looked like a few years ago and what's been done to it up to this point. I'll be posting in here periodically, listing what it has in/on it and whatever projects I will be getting into. Thanks for checking it out!

LandalftheGray Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:24 pm

Driving away with this beauty!!

joey1320 Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:46 pm

Wow super clean Square :)

What's up with the steering wheel? :shock:

EverettB Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:28 pm

Nice car, congrats on the purchase.

69 Notchback Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:06 am

I love that square good buy. There are some really cool accessories on that square?

LandalftheGray Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:34 pm

Thank you very much guys!! Ya, a couple sweet things on there.. mostly Swiss(?) accessories.
Original gravel guard set, full circle horn ring, and rubber bumper overriders without the extra trim.. to name a few! And a full size, teak rack by Pedro, who I've read recently just stopped making racks :cry:

Once I get a minute, I'll post in a little more detail about what's in it. We're currently working on restoring a stock Type 3 front beam to replace the existing Type 1, 3" narrowed setup that's on there now!

69 Notchback Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:48 am

Don't forget the camping hinges under the back seat. If you ever want to sell any of it let me know.😀

LandalftheGray Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:39 am

69 Notchback.. Oh of course! I may actually sell that tow hitch though.. do you know anyone that needs one!

69 Notchback Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:41 pm

No not the hitch.

MonT3 Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:29 am

Congrats on getting this one. Nice looking square.

Bobnotch Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:45 am

Congrats. That's really a nice looking car. Enjoy it. 8)

irvanm Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:22 pm

super neat, congratulations.

corythosaurus Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:13 pm

Welcome! The square looks great. You should have great fun with it!

63 vwnotch Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:51 pm

just a tease with the in-n-out.... nice square, read up about maintenance and it will last like a toyota.........

LandalftheGray Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:41 pm

Thank you so much everyone! I appreciate all the support.. it's really what I was hoping to hear when I decided to get myself into making this a daily hahaha

Short update: My dad and I searched for a stock T3 front beam to replace the narrowed T1 PunchDrunk Customs adjustable beam that's on there now. Found one (thank god) and started tearing it apart to refurbish every bit that we can. Just waiting on two more ball joints and then we can throw it on there, adjust the front and back to get a solid stance, and replace the brake pressure sensors that have since given out. No brake lights... no good. One thing at a time!

69 Notchback Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:30 pm

Why are you replacing that beam?'do you not like the ride? Just queries as I have never ridden in a type 3 with a conversion beam.

LandalftheGray Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:59 pm

69 Notchback wrote: Why are you replacing that beam?'do you not like the ride? Just queries as I have never ridden in a type 3 with a conversion beam.

Ya, not a huge fan of the ride, and the tires rub the inside well before full lock. It's also so narrow that it doesn't have shock towers/shocks. But I'm mostly just trying to get the stock width back because I love the mostly stock look with a lower stance.

LandalftheGray Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:44 pm

Update: Here is the new (to me), original Type 3 beam. I bought new tie rods, shocks, ball joints, etc., and we tore this thing up to get it in better shape. I'm pretty excited on how it turned out, and I'll be more excited when I'm able to truly drive it regularly!

We're looking at putting it in next weekend, along with leveling it out and replacing the pressure sensors for the brake lights!

ataraxia Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:15 pm

The two inner tie rod ends aren't going to last long.

Neither are correct for the Type 3 - in fact, the inner left one is a T1 tie rod end that's angled the wrong way. The geometry is going to be so screwed up that the two inner tie rod ends will likely interfere with one another and/or the master cylinder if you can get it mounted to the car. Once you drop it down off the jack - you may damage the master cylinder which will cost more to replace than buying the correct tie rod ends.

You can get pretty decent Italian made OCAP tie rod ends from RockAuto.com for about $15 each. The inner left is its own animal and they're about $45 each. If you go with what you've got - expect to tear it all apart again in about a year or two if you can even get it on the car.

Outer Left and Inner Right are the same part, btw.

dkvmatt Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:16 pm

Any reason for painting it red?