TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Engine tin color question - L43 vs. black
bnam Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:46 am

I need to re-paint the engine tin on my '71 super vert. My research indicates that the engine tin/tank/glovebox etc was painted L43 grey-black.

http://www.buginfo.de/typ1/1971/1302cabrio/l31f_iberischrot.htm

I have several cans of WW greyblack and have even painted the airfilter housing. However, the color does not seem to match up with the original (but a bit faded in parts) colors on the tin or on the (less faded) glovebox/dash grill. The tin and dash are more black than the WW L43 spray.

Is the WW L43 spray a poor match, or was my research wrong about the tin and dash of the '71 super?

I've done some searching on here and have seen suggestions to use the WW paint, but am puzzled by the difference in color.

Here's a pic of my engine with the repainted oil bath filter. The pic does not show it well, but the filter is grayer in my eyes than the tin.

Also, what color was the manifold and generator stand originally painted for the '71? It's some sort of grey. Any close matches in high heat sprays?

Thanks!
Byas

raygreenwood Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:23 am

I can't even count how many times I have responded to these same types of problems. I deal with color mixing and matching for a living....in a wide range of types of coatings.

Most people do not really understand color in general. ..and pigments and formulations chemistry in specific.

No two paint matches/mixes....even from the same lot of raw materials....will ever be exactly the same....unless they are a single pigment from the same lot.

There is no such animal as a single pigment black or white in paint. You can find this in some printiny inks and toners. ...but they are for mixing other colors....not as single application coatings. They have no opacity.

Not too get deep into the color mixing, matching and light theiry...because it would take VOLUMES to get it across......but the other issue is that a mixed paint, ink or coating....changes over time bscause of oxidization and breakdown of the ingredients. ...chemically.. ..so yes....even in the dark sealed can.

Also.....application method......spray pattern, texture, gloss deposition thickness. ...all change visible color of ANY paint or coating

Also....viewing angle and viewing light source......will totally change color as viewed by the human eye. This is called metamerism.

This is not even to mention that color formulas....paint idnetified by color formula number...will be totally different from paint brand to paint brand because they all use different solvents, binders and pigment manufacturers. Ray