TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Brand new custom Syncro transaxle Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Pcforno Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:39 am

Awesome gears. Can’t wait !!

danfromsyr Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:40 am

with every great piece of innovation and attention on these, I feel I'll need to save a bit more $$ to afford one..

but there are many other makes of vehicles out there with $5k+ transmissions..
if you love it, show it how much..

gears Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:29 am

My primary reason for seeing that these various improved Syncro components become available is that I want an ultra-strong trans for my own two Syncros. The business part of it was just a natural progression, as I personally know other guys willing to pay more for the best available parts. The fact that OE parts are becoming scarce while Syncro Vanagon prices are on the rise make these improvements "good timing" (for a change ;^)

Cost? Nothing compared to the skyrocketing prices in the Porsche transaxle market (where 5K might buy you a rebuildable core). That, and the fact that the Syncro trans is so unique, help me keep things in perspective.

gears Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:08 am

Our latest batch of inventory includes a few reduced helix and straight-cut versions of 4th gear, which should eliminate the "orbiting" issue kindly researched and explained by Howesight (in another thread). I'll be installing straight-cut 4ths in my own two transaxles, just as soon as our mainshafts arrive in April. These are strictly meant for SVX and similar conversion vans, in which horsepower is well over double the original design, and which see extreme uphill loading.

Gears shown are: Standard - Reduced Helix - Straight-Cut

In Porsche world, we continue to sell lots of straight-cut synchronized gears to guys with insane Turbo engined GT3 cars. They report a reasonable noise level, which initially surprised us. We had of course taken extra care in selecting more "streetable" tooth profile and pressure angle to help with noise, so were gratified with the results: gears that lasted quite a bit longer in overpowered street/track cars, without sounding like a Hewland transaxle.

We consider these Vanagon gears "experimental" at this stage .. but based on past experience in Porsche world, they should be quite successful.

MarkWard Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:21 am

A quiet running straight cut gear would great. I intend to move
forward with my TDI syncro project this spring. I will be refreshing the transaxle as part of the conversion. I will be watching this thread. Thanks for
the commitment. Mark

Sodo Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:07 pm

NOTE: Here's a thread where Howesight explains his theory. I think he floated the idea earlier (in another thread) but I couldn't find it. Another discussion of the "4th gear cocking" and erosion of the mainshaft bearing thrust surface in this thread.

gears wrote: In Porsche world, we continue to sell lots of straight-cut synchronized gears to guys with insane Turbo engined GT3 cars. They report a reasonable noise level, which initially surprised us.

NOTE: GT3s have roll cages inside the car. Those folks would describe ANY exclusive, high cost noise as "reasonable". Besides their travel conversations are not the same as campers touring the National parks etc.

GT3 conversations resemble this: "STFU and hold on!" :lol: :lol:

I'd think that the reduced helix would solve the problem for most. It looks like it cuts the thrust in half. I'm anxious to listen to those gears. I assume you'll put a straight cut in the SVX and a reduced helix in the EJ-25?

Howesight Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:14 pm

That is great news for the embattled Syncro transaxle, Pablo. I am watching for availability of your last bits to have my transaxle rebuilt with all these quality parts, pressure lubrication and cooling. Mrs. Howesight will be very pleased after the rebuild since I am always on her case not to exceed 72 mph, my arbitrary "do not exceed" speed. Of course, for passing, we exceed that without a worry, but for long runs on cruise control, it's 72 mph.

Frankly, for occasions when we just have to get some miles behind us, I can live with the high fuel consumption of 80 or 85 mph and I am looking forward to being able to do that.

Many thanks for the commitment and follow-through.

gears Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:48 am

The GT3R & GT3RS track cars are indeed factory dedicated track cars, but various street models including the GT3 are often heavily modded by their owners for various types of outlaw racing (Texas Mile etc).

I don't think 2.5 conversions need anything other than standard helical gears. SVX and TDI are another story. TDI guys in particular overly lug in 4th gear, which IMO exacerbates the orbiting issue. Perhaps the reduced helix gear will prove to be a sufficient compromise for all .. only time will tell.

I'm hoping to perform comparative noise testing in a controlled environment, using German Transaxle's transaxle dynometer. My own SVX Westy will have straight-cut 4th regardless, as I really push that van hard uphill.

elizer Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:08 am

Gears,

Please give me your address so I can have my tax returns sent directly to you.

Thank you,
Eli

hans j Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:25 am

If you could also measure the noise inside the vehicle with some off the shelf app so the rest of us know where we compare, that would be great. I know in my TDI, interior noise is much louder anyway due to the engine. I might not hear a straight cut gear at all at freeway speeds.

gears Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:15 pm

Thanks for that input, Hans .. TDI is a prime candidate for reduced helix or straight-cut.

gears Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:10 pm

The prototype billet housings are almost there ..

jimf909 Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:23 pm

Wow. It looks shiny. It also looks like the outcome of years of work and learning. Well done.

gears Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:32 pm

NOT my handiwork .. I'm just the input guy. That's the standard version, applicable to 2WD and stock nose cone.

MarkWard Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:04 pm

Beautiful machining. Thanks for the update. The longer I put off my syncro project, the more transaxle options seem to appear. That's good news. mark

pedrokrusher Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:53 pm

gears wrote: The prototype billet housings are almost there ..

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
Here ya go!!!
Better quality parts!!!

bstein Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:53 pm

Soooo nice looking. :D

Pcforno Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:05 pm

I think I just wet myself :oops:

Syncro Jael Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:40 am

gears wrote: The prototype billet housings are almost there ..

This looks amazing! Along with new gears, new mainshaft, new R&P, New everything else that is available.

I am all in once they are available. And my transaxle savings account is refurbished.

Thank you Paul!

MsTaboo Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:17 pm

I'm still waiting for a Tom Hanks type millionaire to step up and initiate an all new Syncro transaxle. :lol:

Gears; looking really great! What's the main advantage of the billet compared to the all new aluminum housings?