TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Nose clip repair, need some ideas
reefkeep Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:21 am

I own a 1978 Westy with sheet metal damage on the nose clip and I would like to know the best way to make repairs, replace or repair is the question? 8)

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=reefkeep&show_results=summary

63 vwnotch Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:13 am

welcome to the forum!!!!

it's an open ended question without pics.... no one could give and honest opionin without them...

theKbStockpiler Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:17 pm

Most of the strength of that area is the channel for the vent grill or whatever it's called.

What has to be done so you can get a hammer on one side and a dolly on the other? Otherwise you have to use a puller or possibly both procedures. Your going to have to do some shrinking after that channel is manipulated.

Edit: Why are people stingy with photos? :lol:

reefkeep Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:11 pm

63 vwnotch wrote: welcome to the forum!!!!

it's an open ended question without pics.... no one could give and honest opionin without them...

There is photos of my bus in my galley, take a look pls

reefkeep Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:14 pm

theKbStockpiler wrote: Most of the strength of that area is the channel for the vent grill or whatever it's called.

What has to be done so you can get a hammer on one side and a dolly on the other? Otherwise you have to use a puller or possibly both procedures. Your going to have to do some shrinking after that channel is manipulated.

Edit: Why are people stingy with photos? :lol:
Thank you, didn't really want to do any welding if I could help it.

reefkeep Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:16 pm

There is photos in my first post, follow the link to them pls

wcfvw69 Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:35 pm

To get that out correctly, you really need to pull it out with a auto body frame machine. A slide hammer won't do it. You "may" be able to push it out with a porta-power but if you've never done this kind of work, you'd be much better off having a good body shop do it.

reefkeep Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:41 pm

I was planning on a body shop do the work, I just wanted to make sure the repairs were done correctly and I wasn't taken to the cleaners or them blowing smoke up my tail end..And thanks for input Bill
Bill