TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Rear Preload Measurement
Meco Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:07 am

After putting my Manx together for the first time, I need to add some additional preload to the rear suspension. When I have a passenger, a full cooler and tools, the rear is bottoming out a little too much off-road.

I want to raise the rear one inch, let's say. According to a chart I saw on TheSamba, that would be 5 splines rotated on the inner and 5 on the outer to get one inch.

Where exactly are they measuring the lift from on the vehicle?
From the sump to the ground, or from the center of the rear torsion housing to the ground?

I want to raise my rear end up with a jack then measure correctly what kind of lift I really need. Even though not an exact science with old torsion bars, I want to get as close as possible without having to do this job twice!
Thanks for any advice.

SamT Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:39 am

Those charts are really for full weight bugs. You may go just under to try not to make it too stiff.

Dark Earth Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:54 pm

Meco wrote: After putting my Manx together for the first time, I need to add some additional preload to the rear suspension. When I have a passenger, a full cooler and tools, the rear is bottoming out a little too much off-road.

I want to raise the rear one inch, let's say. According to a chart I saw on TheSamba, that would be 5 splines rotated on the inner and 5 on the outer to get one inch.

Where exactly are they measuring the lift from on the vehicle?
From the sump to the ground, or from the center of the rear torsion housing to the ground?

I want to raise my rear end up with a jack then measure correctly what kind of lift I really need. Even though not an exact science with old torsion bars, I want to get as close as possible without having to do this job twice!
Thanks for any advice.

I think I'd determine the spring plate angle you want. Drive the car around to get the suspension settled. Then, measure the spring plate angle, with a magnetic angle finder, with the weight of the car still on it. Then jack the car up to the height you want, and measure the spring plate angle again. Subtract the first measurement from the second measurement. This will be the amount of angle you want to add to the spring plate. Use the chart to get the combination you need to get the additional spring plate angle you want.

Meco Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:05 pm

SamT - good point about the vehicle weight. Thanks.

DarkEarth - also thanks. This is the technical solution I needed. Totally makes sense now.

Dark Earth Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:13 pm

Meco wrote: SamT - good point about the vehicle weight. Thanks.

DarkEarth - also thanks. This is the technical solution I needed. Totally makes sense now.

No sweat.