TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 1967 VW Squareback Daily Driver Inquiry
I_Dont_Like_Usernames Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:27 pm

Hey, I just had a few questions that I thought the lovely people at Thesamba could shed some light on for me.

Ok here we go, so currently I'm diving a 1978Mercedes 240D as my DD and just had to get the glow plugs and battery replaced, and while I didn't have a car I was on CL a lot just looking around. I came across a 1967 VW Squareback in really nice condition that had been sitting in a garage for 15ish years and needs a good tone up and little stuff a 50 year old car would need done to it.

My questions are:

1: How drastically do you guys think reliability as a DD would change compared to my merc?
2: How readily available are part? like do I will I need to search long and hard to find some spare parts?
3: Are the engines basically the same as the Type -1 & Type - 2 engines in the sense of part availability and simplicity of the engines?
4: Is rust a major factor on this car as it is for the Beetles and the Buses?
5: Is it even a car thats worth going after?

Thanks for your help in advance, Eben

Air-Cooled Head Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:31 am

That's a sweet looking car.

New postPosted: Yesterday 7:27 pm Post subject: 1967 VW Squareback Daily Driver Inquiry Reply with quote Report this post to Moderator/Admin.
Hey, I just had a few questions that I thought the lovely people at Thesamba could

Who you calling "lovely"?!?! :)

My questions are:

1: How drastically do you guys think reliability as a DD would change compared to my merc?

You'll do a lot more routine maint. If that's not an issue for you, go for it!

2: How readily available are part? like do I will I need to search long and hard to find some spare parts?

Most routine Squareback stuff is pretty easy to find. Not as easy as Bug stuff, but not a lot of "ultra" rare stuff. Now, if you want to be "period correct" and all/mostly/some NOS, things will be a little more difficult.

3: Are the engines basically the same as the Type -1 & Type - 2 engines in the sense of part availability and simplicity of the engines?

Yes. The airflow/cooling layout is the big diff. Otherewise, pretty much the same.

4: Is rust a major factor on this car as it is for the Beetles and the Buses?
I'd say yes for the typical places: Lower A pillar, floors, heater channels, etc. Here's a picture that shows where they're most likely to rust.

5: Is it even a car thats worth going after? From the pictures, absolutely! As long as the price isn't outrageous (that's for you to decide)

dirtslinger Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:09 am

That car looks awful nice!

Erik G Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:24 am

eh - depends on how much this thing is. all the window rubber has been replaced with cheap stuff. I can't tell but looks like the popouts were deleted? that sucks. the little steering wheel and wider tires are not going to be fun. The dash is cracked (expected but sucks) the door panels are cheap and wrong year, the armrests are missing. Seats are dirty and need cleaned - they are the older TMI lowback replacement covers. Cant tell about the paint, but it looks like the fender beading was painted over. the missing chrome on the door should be easy to find in the classifieds here

Id want closer pictures of that drivers door jam. Is that rust? or a dangling speaker wire? just above the aluminum trim

Less than $4K if it runs and drives and stops well and you wouldnt be upside down

ataraxia Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:36 am

Rear reflectors are missing so it's had some 'work' done to it...

Erik G Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:05 am

found the ad - $7500 FIRM. Too much in my opinion

some more pics too, the bottom of the front fenders are rusted. It's normal but not for $7500

I_Dont_Like_Usernames Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:47 pm

Erik G wrote: eh - depends on how much this thing is. all the window rubber has been replaced with cheap stuff. I can't tell but looks like the popouts were deleted? that sucks. the little steering wheel and wider tires are not going to be fun. The dash is cracked (expected but sucks) the door panels are cheap and wrong year, the armrests are missing. Seats are dirty and need cleaned - they are the older TMI lowback replacement covers. Cant tell about the paint, but it looks like the fender beading was painted over. the missing chrome on the door should be easy to find in the classifieds here

So you're saying that replace and or fix that stuff you mentioned? Like what are we looking at to get it back to original classifications, a few $100 or multiple thousand?

Erik G wrote:
Id want closer pictures of that drivers door jam. Is that rust? or a dangling speaker wire? just above the aluminum trim

I don't know how truthful the seller is, but he said theres no rust he car "see". I don't really know what that means but I feel as if it would mean there are few major rust stops on the car. Also he said it needs a tone up but is runs and drives good as a DD. I would definitely get it checked out by a trusted mechanic or serves (like AiM or something) before I'd spend any kind of money on the car.

KTPhil Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:01 pm

I'd fix up the Benz.

Bobnotch Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:32 pm

KTPhil wrote: I'd fix up the Benz.

Same here. As much as I love these cars (that's my old 71 Notch that Tom posted), I'd put the money into the Benz. Hook up with Tram as he's the Benz guy here (restores the oldies).

I_Dont_Like_Usernames Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:45 pm

As much as I like the benz, and as much as it could use small touch ups, if I was going to put money into a Mercedes I'd rather put it into a 180D. But I guess if I put more money into making it nicer I can sell it for more can't I? 8)
But if you guys don't think this car is worth the $7500 then it's probably not.

One of these days I will have enough money that I agent already set aside for other stuff to be able to afford the cars that I would like :D

Bobnotch Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:27 am

I_Dont_Like_Usernames wrote: As much as I like the benz, and as much as it could use small touch ups, if I was going to put money into a Mercedes I'd rather put it into a 180D. But I guess if I put more money into making it nicer I can sell it for more can't I? 8)
But if you guys don't think this car is worth the $7500 then it's probably not.

One of these days I will have enough money that I agent already set aside for other stuff to be able to afford the cars that I would like :D

It's nice, but not 7500 nice. Even here in the "salt belt" I don't think you'd get 7500 for it. Add in that it still needs some stuff, and you might end up with a money pit.
Maybe you should toss a few bucks at the Benz you've already got, then start saving for the one you want. I'm not trying to tell you what you should own/drive (I've got 3 Hondas and a Toyota wantabe here, plus some GM's along with my type 3s), so I'm in no position to say anything. But, I'd like to see you make an informed decision.

I_Dont_Like_Usernames Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:26 pm

Bobnotch wrote:
Maybe you should toss a few bucks at the Benz you've already got, then start saving for the one you want.

Ya I've been thinking about it and I've come to the conclusion that I want to try and fix it up as best as I can before I sell her. For example the rubber around the windows is starting to dry out and crack and I want to repaint it in the original cars color (because it was repainted with a chevy brown color) and there are a few other thing I'd like to do also but ya, I think keeping and fixing it is the right option for right now.