TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Alternate to thermostat controlling flaps
erikhaha Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:25 pm

So I had my engine rebuilt and as I am putting all of the engine tins back on the engine I realized that the thermostat, hinge above the head and the spring/control rod were missing. So now I know another reason why my engine was running so hot.

After a little research it looks pretty hard to find a re manufactured thermostat for a type 3. I see at aircooled.net they have ones for type 1&4 engines but not type 3.

Although I live in Southern California I still would like to be able to have the cooling flaps operate, so I thought about running some type of linkage or throttle cable to that area and hook it up to the flaps so that I can control them with a level that is mounted somewhere in the "cockpit." Kind of like flaps on a plane.

Any thoughts about the drawbacks of this?

1rabbit1981 Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:44 pm

I got mine from awesomepowdercoating.com. Works awesome!!

1rabbit1981 Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:47 pm

Correction awesomepowdercoat.com

D/A/N Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:07 pm

Not having a thermostat wouldn't cause you to run too hot.....rather you'd run too cold. Also, unless I've been deceived, there's no such thing as a Type 3 thermostat. Just buy the 65*-70* one for a Type 1.

Also, just buy the correct thermostat linkage parts in the classifieds. If you don't see the stuff, just put up a WTB ad. Doing it with some cockpit mounted stuff doesn't sound like a good idea.....what happens if you wait too long to open the flaps?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1334133

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1598685

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1391453

KTPhil Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:28 pm

Yes, you will find what you need in the classifieds without much delay. Just be sure to match the setup to your engine... it changed over the years. Then install and adjust it per the Bentley. Hint: Cut a slot in the ends of the longitudinal operating rod, so you can see if it is rotating as the engine warms up.

erikhaha Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:26 pm

D/A/N, if the flaps in the fan housing are permanently closed then air can't flow across the heads. Please explain how this would make the engine run cool? Otherwise, I see your point about potentially forgetting to open the flaps if I mount a lever in the cab....I just liked the idea. Probably stay away from that since it is too much extra work.

KTPhil, yes I already read the thread that you guys had going about that. Already dis that. That is a pretty nice hack to tell if your t-stat is properly working.

Thanks guys.

D/A/N Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:43 pm

erikhaha wrote: D/A/N, if the flaps in the fan housing are permanently closed then air can't flow across the heads. Please explain how this would make the engine run cool? Otherwise, I see your point about potentially forgetting to open the flaps if I mount a lever in the cab....I just liked the idea. Probably stay away from that since it is too much extra work.

KTPhil, yes I already read the thread that you guys had going about that. Already dis that. That is a pretty nice hack to tell if your t-stat is properly working.

Thanks guys.

My fault.....my impression was that you were missing everything to do with the thermostat, including the flaps. You're right that permanently closed is definitely not good!!