TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: To leave, or not to leave... the old seam sealer
Evil_Fiz Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:50 pm

I have my chassis almost completely stripped of tar mats/sound insulation(?) and getting close to media blasting. Once I get the rear trailing arms and related bits removed I will be ready to start.
1) Should I leave the original seam sealer on the chassis or go Brazilian and replace with new once I have blasted it?
2) If replace with new, what options do those who have gone before recommend?

Thanks,
Emil

c21darrel Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:17 pm

OCD makes me strip out all the old seam sealer, a screwdriver although not made for it...works well to remove stubborn sealers. Sometimes it looks perfect underneath, sometimes there is rust. Im not sure how VW did it or the preferred method. Not sure at which point they applied...direct to metal, over primer... All I can tell you is what I use and when I apply. I buy the caulking tube style, most always 3M stuff, to me its simplest to apply. I dont like the visual the brush on leaves behind. I pick an off white or grey I can see over the primer. I put it on after sanding the last coat of sanding primer. Then paint over it. If painting a car black I would choose a dark seam sealer.
Tons of choices on product...brand, color, delivery style...
https://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=n%3A15684181%2Ck%3Aauto%20seam%20sealer

kiwighia68 Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:39 pm

I'm with Darrel. Same problem - OCD - same method.

But there's method in our madness. The painter guy made me work on the underside of the body after the metalwork had been completed. He wanted all the crud out, and new seam sealer in. I spent days under the body - on a dolly - and became well acquainted with it. Every nook and cranny was sealed.

I am so allergic to rust that I went looking for it everywhere, as in EVERYWHERE.