TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Advice on pinto powered rail
Jasontwl Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:10 am

I'm considering purchasing a 2.3 naturally aspirated sand rail. Any advice on this engine, pros and cons vs a vs engine? I think its the 88HP version of the 2.3. The rail Will be primarily used on the street as a weekend fun car.

cbeck Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:30 pm

Jon huber is a local racer. He did drag week with a 2.3 turbo. Racetune is around 1000 hp and the street tune gives 25 mpg.
Huber performance
Esslinger engineering
The ranger station.

caleb0101 Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:04 pm

As long as it doesnt have a pinto fuel system i say go for it :lol:

dustymojave Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:33 pm

Carb for Pintos was the Holley-Weber progressive that's still quite popular on VW engines. Some people love 'em, some hate 'em. They were also popular on all sorts of other 4 cylinder cars from Datsun 510s to Corollas and especially on mini pickups.

Ford 2.3 SOHC can be hotrodded in many ways. LOTS of options. Nice reliable engine too. There are factory 2-plug heads and matching distributors. Manifolds for side draft Webers, and Holley 4-barrels and turbos. Headers area available off-the-shelf. No need for $2000 wire harness and computer.

SamT Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:06 am

The downside is the weight. You better drive it and make sure its steerable on the street. If not you can probably fix it with some longer trailing arms or moving some weight foreword.

Most the Vw rails of the past are too light up front for anything heavier than a Vw. The newer ones guy are building are generally heavier though. It should be perfectly fine if it's a 4 seater or 2+2.

Dürtwagen Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:04 pm

My father has this exactly. Johnny Speed&Chrome Sand rail with a bored out 70's pinto motor on a swing axle trans& turning brakes. He did everything himself and has had it for over 25 years. He's been a mechanic his whole life and he's very meticulous and specific with his vehicles so My 2 cents, if its good enough to for my old man, it's probably a great choice. I wish I had pictures for you.
Needless to say, it's a beast.

Jasontwl Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:12 pm

Thanks for the information guys.