TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 1991 Double door pop top conversion Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
RoryGirl Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:11 pm

I just moved from Toronto to Vancouver Island and grabbed this cool double sliding door Vanagon in Cranbrook.

Here it is 10 min after I got it on the trailer

Dent in the nose (any tips on getting that out?) and cracked windshield (already have a new seal and will replace myself)

If only I was good at Parkour!

Surface rust on this sliding door is the worst of it

Jesus fish is coming off as I'm not affiliated...

Pop top I dragged with me from Ontario

I need mounting brackets for the luggage rack (anyone?)

Got a great deal on a Pelican 1720

I also have a Thule 300 series rack w/Yakima Rocketbox

Recaro seat out of a small transit bus (armrest!)...I have a matching one waiting for it in Ontario

I've got 5 of these...3 OEM AMG (2x7.5 and 1x8.5) and 2x7.5 reps. The 8.5 will end up as a spare on a rear carrier until I can find another one cheap (anyone?)

And I need those to clear these brakes I have from an abandoned Audi project.

Adams rotors B5 S4 front rotors

B5 S4 Lucas HP2s I powdercoated Anthracite

Adams rotors V8 Quattro rear rotors

V8 Quattro Girlings I powdercoated Anthracite

It's running really rough...I'm checking the health of the motor this weekend. Replacing vacuum lines, re-doing grounds etc..

If it passes, I'm probably going to do aircooled.net's carb conversion and an exhaust(any suggestions?).

Glad I've finally made it on the forums as I've been lurking since the early days.

Thanks for looking!

borninabus Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:20 am

that is one cool van!
and some great upgrades you have happening...
other than the carb conversion.

i rebuilt my first carb at around 16 and have found FI even easier because i know the basics of fuel delivery.
there are a few concepts that you need to understand about FI, but don't be intimidated.

junichi Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:22 am

That is a cool van for sure. I'm pretty sure I almost bought it a few years back but it was a bit more of a project than I needed at the time... I will be watching your build!

Zeitgeist 13 Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:25 am

That's a sweet base for a project build. I would just fix the stock injection. Carbs are bad juju

RoryGirl Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:12 pm

borninabus wrote: other than the carb conversion.
Zeitgeist 13 wrote: I would just fix the stock injection. Carbs are bad juju

My reasoning (or lack thereof) with the carbs (besides the cool factor) is that I don't necessarily want to do a motor swap right now (down the road for sure)...but want a bit of a power increase and don't want to deal with new ISV/injectors/seals/etc, swapping out ECUs and whatever to get it running right.

Even if they're fiddly...I think with an AFR meter/correct sync gauges and getting aircooled.net to set them up - the carbs will get me moving quicker in both respects.

If the motor in this ends up bad (doing a compression test this weekend, any other tips to check on the health of this motor?), I'll most likely do a VR6 swap.

I'm still kicking myself for not driving 10hrs to grab a set of new AMC heads and new westy window trim for 400 CDN a month or so back...

RoryGirl Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:23 am

What I'm up to right now -

Got my AFM cleaned up and open, there's a 16v 22uf tantalum capacitor I ordered from BC Robotics here on the island...if yer looking

All cleaned up as well...I'm going to jb weld the throttle body bore as it's looking like an eclipse right now!

I've made my own alternator harness (4/10/16awg), 4awg engine ground, and hard start relay (10awg). I had the wire and relay on hand, new Pico ends from Lordco - heatedshrinked/Tesa harness wrap/will dielectric things up/star washers on bare metal grounds

Starting on the headlight relays with Daniel Stern stuff I had leftover from an Audi project

Made a new main battery cable with 1/0 welding cable...I'm adding a cutoff to the negative side and hardwiring a Noco Gen1 Mini 4A onboard charger. Used a Harbor Freight hydraulic crimper

Replacing the dash cigarette lighter with a BlueSea 1045 4.8A socket...got this locally in a day from The Harbour Chandler

I've had mixed results with POR15, and was going to go for Masterseries this time...but read about this in a comparison thread and The Harbour Chandler stocks it - so I'm giving Pettit 6980 Rustlok Steel Primer a go

bluebus86 Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:08 am

Nice van, but please remove the photographs, it has been two minutes and tbey are still loading, slowing down the computer. please down size them or reduce them to a more manageable number.

for paint por 15 is not all that great, lots of marketing but not that good. use a quality name brand two part epoxy or such, DP two part primer is a high quality water proof paint that is easy to use and is very tough, backed by ppg https://ppgrefinish-na.uberflip.com/i/462316-ppg-custom-restoration-guide/45?

your van is a nice color. it appears you habe some seam rust near deiver door, that shojld be address before it bets worse. is this a repaint or original. if repaint use care in inspection for more seam rust that may not have been correctly repaired and sealed.

again please reduce fhe photographs to llwer size/resolution, it is taking forever to load.

good luck!!!!! :shock: :lol: :x :shock: 8) :lol: :cry: :roll: :wink: :D :D :lol:

Tom Powell Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:09 am

I had no problems downloading the photos. :D

Aloha
tp

levi Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:13 am

Pics are fine of your nice double slider !

Always wanted one of those, I'll be following along.

djkeev Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:07 am

Tom Powell wrote: I had no problems downloading the photos. :D

Aloha
tp

Mine came up zippity quick too!

Though admittedly Fios IS behaving rather well this morning....... 👍

BTW nice Van! Glad you're keeping the fuel injection for now.

Dave

vanagonjr Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:27 pm

What's your interior plans? I've thought that a slide-out would be cool for a double door van - maybe not entirely useful, but still it would be cool, especially if it could utilize a Westy seat to turn into a kids bed.

Congratulations!

MsTaboo Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:56 pm

Tom Powell wrote: I had no problems downloading the photos. :D

Aloha
tp

Photos loaded just fine on my computer also, BB86's computer is probably full of spam. :P

RoryGirl Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:55 pm

djkeev wrote:
BTW nice Van! Glad you're keeping the fuel injection for now.

Yeah for now I'm going to fix the FI stuff and throw on an exhaust, with thoughts to the future of maybe going Megasquirt...

vanagonjr wrote: What's your interior plans?

I've thought about it 20 different ways....whatever I end up doing, I'll have to be creative! I'm looking for a full size folding bed, and it will be the only one for now (just me and the dog).

In other news...I made myself this sweatshirt (I have a vinyl cutter and heat press...stay tuned for graphics on the van) 3-4 months ago...I've been battle testing it to see how things hold up, and it's done pretty well.

Rocky Mountain Westy Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:02 pm

I wish my double door looked that nice.

RoryGirl Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:36 pm

Super stoked...this just showed up - Big Shot shifter from RSFab

RoryGirl Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:48 pm

My VW Speed Shop stainless exhaust showed up today...gets stellar reviews on the UK forums. Not sure why more people aren't running it over here? You do have to run a shorter oil filter in some cases - I'm going to run a larger one remote mounted with an oil cooler (already have a Mesa 48 plate).

It was $575 USD to my door w/$23 CDN duty/brokerage from UPS

hdenter Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:53 am

That style of exhaust was found on the carbureted 1.9 and 2.1 vans which
where not sold here in the states. It looks nice. I think the 1-3 "J" tubes and the 2-4 tubes with the double flanges are the only part that would have to be imported. The stock muffler for air cooled vans would bolt right up. There are also aftermarket collectors, mufflers and tail pieces here for the air cooled crowd that would bolt right up.

Hans

Team WorldTour Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:04 am

Hey, you are in Nanaimo, right?
Go over to Ultimate Fabrication (by the car dealerships). They did a sweet job on a custom skid plate and intake for my H6!

RoryGirl Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:16 pm

Freshening things up a bit...

Some satin Krylon Fusion on the grills and some MetalCast yellow I had lying around on the high's that will come off easily if I'm not feeling it. Cleaned the lights up internally/externally.

I'm relaying the lights and have run a dedicated 6awg with BluSea 2020 for power. I'm also trying out these LED conversion bulbs.

Vanagon Nut Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:10 am

I had a chance to buy a double slider vanagon but sadly, a PO had hacked on a pop top.

Looks like your sticking with the digifant. Im sure itll work out.

Sorry to see theres still snow happening up there!

Neil.