TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Slow moving resto of 66 DC Page: 1, 2  Next
peecee69 Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:44 am

I picked up a 66 DC a while ago (about 4 years now), but due to other obligations, I haven't been able to work on it at all. Some of my time is starting to free up, I'm going to get going on putting this old girl back on the road. Here's a picture of the day I got it:

It looks almost exactly the same today. Since I know it will need some major metal work that I can't handle right now (no welder, yet), I am starting with some of the more manageable bits. The first on my list is the front window frames. Problem already.

It looks like the hole was drilled in the screws and probably messed up the thread. Either way, neither screw will budge, even after two weeks of soaking with pb blaster and some heat occasionally.

ZENVWDRIVER Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:04 am

... just think, it's appreciating, in value, just leaving it alone, till you get to it... you could let it sit another 10 years and sell... better than money in the bank... no rush

peecee69 Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:08 am

ZENVWDRIVER wrote: you could let it sit another 10 years and sell... better than money in the bank... no rush

That would suck. I want to drive it!

peecee69 Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:20 pm

I'm trying to figure out how to straighten the rear area where it meets up with the engine breast tin. I was thinking about making a template out of wood and use that to bend the metal back into place, using that the the tin as a guide. Any suggestions how to bend down the bump on the right side?

Who.Me? Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:26 am

peecee69 wrote: I'm trying to figure out how to straighten the rear area where it meets up with the engine breast tin. I was thinking about making a template out of wood and use that to bend the metal back into place, using that the the tin as a guide. Any suggestions how to bend down the bump on the right side?

If you've got the woodworking skills a pair of templates forming half the curve over the bell housing should do it. Use the good side to get the shape and make an outer and innner template to sandwich the 'good' curve between. Flip them round for the bent side and use a series of clamps to squeeze the templates together. Work back and forth between the clamps to squeeze it evenly.

I did that on a smaller scale on a compound curve that formed the of the lip of the tailgate on a daily driver car a while back. Someone reversed in to it while the tailgate was closed and bent the lip in and under, but didn't break the paint. I was able to get it back perfectly using the above method.

I did something similar last year on the engine lid of my truck using a pair of 2 x 4 timbers, although the damage was more severe than the tailgate example, but it still got it straight enough to fit a new valance panel.

peecee69 Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:56 am

During disassembly, I found that this "button" doesn't do anything. It doesn't move, and I'm having a heck of a time removing it. There are three wires connected to it, but the wiring in this truck is a mess. It doesn't seem like there is a switch or button like it in the wiring diagram, unless I'm missing it, which is entirely possible.

EverettB Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:13 am

AFAIK someone added that and there should be nothing there on a Double Cab

I suspect the ring around the outside unscrews but it's probably frozen.

Eric&Barb Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:41 am

Pop out frame will need nuts welded onto what is left of the screw heads.

Work on the stuff you can get to now like the engine body to engine tin, de-rust and epoxy cold galv primer, cut out rust areas that are totally toast, EG front floor.

peecee69 Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:53 am

If it wasn't for the earth rotating, this DC wouldn't have moved for the last 4-5 years. Life got in the way (and continues to do so), but I've recently acquired a welder, a blaster, a blast cabinet, a trailer, and a few other tools. I've also married into a family with some experienced metal workers. My daughter took a picture of the DC loaded on the trailer last night, and it looks kind of surreal. Hopefully once I get it to Detroit, I'll be able to finally start working on it.

62DoKaGuy Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:50 am

peecee69 wrote: If it wasn't for the earth rotating, this DC wouldn't have moved for the last 4-5 years. Life got in the way (and continues to do so), but I've recently acquired a welder, a blaster, a blast cabinet, a trailer, and a few other tools. I've also married into a family with some experienced metal workers. My daughter took a picture of the DC loaded on the trailer last night, and it looks kind of surreal. Hopefully once I get it to Detroit, I'll be able to finally start working on it.

Although it gets in the way, Dr. Ian Malcolm said it best "Life, uh, finds a way." Any progress is still progress, and it sounds like you're picking up steam. Keep at it!

silkvw Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:59 pm

Even little by little adds up.
Perhaps your daughter will be your helper?

peecee69 Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:13 am

silkvw wrote: Even little by little adds up.
Perhaps your daughter will be your helper?

She likes to help, but she’s off to college in two weeks. The colors I’m planning to paint it are her choice, but that’s mostly because I don’t care what color it is.

peecee69 Thu May 28, 2020 6:17 pm

About 3 months ago, I pulled the original swing axle transmission. I had a local transmission shop look at rebuilding it. They told me it was not worth it, as the actual shell was cracked. Since I had an IRS already being built for my bug, I decided to reroute that to the DC.

Then I bought Wagenswest IRS setup, along with some type 1 trailing arms.
Got some 930 CVs, axles, 100mm forged stub axles, type 3 backing plates and drums for the rear.

Now I'm looking for the other "non-consumable" items in the mix.

Should I be looking for type 3 "spacers" or "oil slingers"? I think that's what the part is called that holds the backing plate to the trailing arm. I need the bolts and spreader bar (hoping to retain e-brake) also.

I think I can use the 45mm type 3 brake shoes and spring kit for the rest of the consumable items.

peecee69 Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:20 am

Quite possibly the slowest progressing resto on the samba. But, trying to move forward with whatever little progress I can document. Trying to save money for the downpayment on a house, while resisting the urge to sell the DC to finance it is tough.

I forgot to include the frames in the pictures, and noticed I haven't primed the vent window frames yet. I have some NOS vent wing latches, and trying to come up with the best way to install the rivets for them. I also removed the bent latch plates, so I need to figure out how to reinstall those things. I have the rivets for those as well, but there is little to no information on how the latch plate rivets are installed.

1970PAKombi Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:27 am

I don't think it's the slowest progressing. Come check me out sometime haha. Keep us posted

peecee69 Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:40 am

I started laying out all the parts I have so far. I have a list of parts I know I have somewhere but haven't found yet too.

Laying all these parts out inspired me to mount my sign until the new house is built. I'm plannng for much larger than a two-car garage.

tisius Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:54 pm

peecee69 wrote:

You messed up buddy, wrong logo :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
or maybe you haven't told us the whole story on your car fleet (don't get me wrong, I like that brand as well) 8)

Two Glove Boxes Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:58 pm

Damn that's a big ass biscuit! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

peecee69 Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:37 pm

tisius wrote:
You messed up buddy, wrong logo :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
or maybe you haven't told us the whole story on your car fleet (don't get me wrong, I like that brand as well) 8)

I have an '02 S4 that is my daily and an '83 Quattro that's been stored away in my cousin's barn for more years than I care to remember.

peecee69 Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:06 pm

To give equal time to one of my other dealership signs, I guess I’ll post that one as well.