TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: GW new 110W Ultra-Compact Solar Panel Kit Page: 1, 2  Next
figborg Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:51 pm

I know it's way to soon to ask for a review of GW's new 110W Ultra-Compact Solar Panel Kit, but if you have any feedback on similar portable and ultra compact set ups, I would be very interested to know. This one is out of my range right now. Any other alternatives that fold to that size? I'm not talking about the folding rigid ones or the flexible sheets that some people have mounted on their pop tops or roof racks, I've read those threads at length and looked at all the Renogy models.

http://www.gowesty.com/product-details.php?v=&id=24597

TheArmand Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:19 pm

I'm never a fan of these solar kits that you store away while driving. If you are the type that only takes the van out for a weekend at a time, perhaps this makes sense. But if you use a fridge and use your van on a regular basis, setting up solar panels and putting them away is just one more thing to add to the to-do list while camping/living out your van.

But if you're set on it, I'd recommend scouring amazon for folding solar panels by themselves for whatever wattage your looking for, and simply put together your own kit. Choose a cheap morningstar PWM charge controller, use MC4 connectors for a quick-connect point. Be sure to choose correct gauge wiring suitable for the amperage/length of wire you plan on using.

Gowesty's solar kits are a bit ridiculously priced IMO (could at least include an MPPT controller for that price), but most complete solar kits are overpriced. Always cheaper to piece your own kit.

OregonConversion Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:14 am

I got my HQST 100 watt Solar panel and 30 amp controller for under $150. It charges my trojan T-105 6V batteries very well.

figborg Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:33 pm

TheArmand wrote: ... I'd recommend scouring amazon for folding solar panels by themselves for whatever wattage your looking for, and simply put together your own kit...

... Gowesty's solar kits are a bit ridiculously priced IMO (could at least include an MPPT controller for that price), but most complete solar kits are overpriced. Always cheaper to piece your own kit.

Yes, I agree. I will build my own kit. I haven't seen a folding 110W compact panel like this yet but I haven't look that hard either. I like how small and thin it packs. Prices will go down for sure and I'm not in a rush. The GW price is way high.

I'll check out the HQST 100 watt Solar panel. I'm looking for something ultra compact and portable.

Thanks!

dhaavers Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:27 pm

OregonConversion wrote: I got my HQST 100 watt Solar panel and 30 amp controller for under $150. It charges my trojan T-105 6V batteries very well.
I want this...(except I'll go with 12v batt under driver's seat)...got links...???

- Dave

owokie Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:29 pm

Quite the upcharge for that piece of gear. Though the small form is cool, the 100w thin panels stow perfectly under the rear mattress and the attached cables in the dead space under the cabinet. All-in with cables, connectors, and a controller for ~$200.

In answer to the permanent mount, I use my cargo tray, don't have a roof rack, and see a huge benefit in being able to place it in the sun at a perpendicular angle. I'd guess compared to a fixed roof mount I see on average 50% more Ah in output per camping day. Setup is literally 2 minutes, same for take-down. To each their own.

Fig, if you go the thin route, IMO the suaoki panel is a slightly better product than the HQST offering. Cheaper on ebay than amazon.

Steve M. Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:19 pm

owokie wrote:

I've been thinking about a flex panel, but thinking that I could put it inside the front windshield so it didn't walk off while I'm out hiking.

Steve M. Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:26 pm

West Marine has got some kits like this, but much less power.
also on clearance because they didn't sell!
"Goal Zero" and "Nature Power" are the brand names.

http://www.westmarine.com/search?Ntt=solar+panels

benandmj Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:34 am

I like GoWesty, so this isn't a dig on them but I can only assume they are private labeling this kit and marking it up. In other words, I bet the identical kit is out there for cheaper...

figborg Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:07 am

Yes, I bet it's pieced together from elements found elsewhere.

I'm liking the idea of the flexible solar panel now that I realize that you can store it under the bottom mattress (or even on the top one in the back). somehow I didn't think of that. It would be significantly cheaper too. I suppose that can be described as compact. I'm addicted to minimal space use :-)

dlb154 Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:03 pm

Though I haven't set mine up yet, I went with two thin 50w Suaoki panels. I figured the smaller footprint of these panels will make it more versatile for storage.

You can pick this up for $85 shipped each if you play your cards right on eBay and bid the last second. $170 for two 50w panels is a nice savings compared to buying through Amazon or eBay at the buy it now price. The one piece 100w Suaoki pane is $180 on Amazon.

DamonAndTheSea Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:25 am

I think $600 is WAY too expensive... :shock:

Also the pic of the panels dangling out the passenger window is a bit ridiculous... all solar panels are *most* effective when facing the sun directly. You will see a precipitous drop in power as the panels angle away from the sun. Generally you're only going to get 6 amps out of a panel at high noon on a very clear, bright sunny day with the panel facing the sun.

Portable panels have an advantage in that you can re-position them, but I don't imagine you want to be chasing the sun's angle of incidence all day long.

200 watts on the roof will go a long way in sunny conditions.

Here's a very basic setup that'll work well for your Vanagon and will clock in far less than the GoWesty package.

Panels

Grab 2 of these thin flexible 100 watt panels. They're lightweight and can be secured to the roof in a variety of ways (even via industrial velcro if you're weary of drilling into the roof.)

https://www.amazon.com/HQST-Monocrystalline-Lightw...olar+panel

Charge Controller

This 20A charge controller will harvest the sun's energy at about 92% efficiency which is far better than the PWM controller in the GoWesty kit which will give you 80% at best.

And what is *key* here that *no one* seems to really discuss is that this charge controller is *programmable* which is *essential* if you don't want to *kill* your battery prematurely by methodically *under-charging* it using the stock settings in most cheap charge controllers.

AGM batteries are not all created equal, and they all have slightly different charge profiles. There is no guarantee that the GoWesty kit will fully charge your aux battery thus drastically reducing it's life and costing you lots of extra money in battery replacement costs. If you charge your battery according to the manufacturer's suggestions you will be sure charge your battery to 100%.

https://www.amazon.com/SolarEpic-Tracer-2215BN-Cha...pic+2215bn

Meter

You will have to purchase the meter which allows you to program all of the charge parameters as well as monitor the system:

https://www.amazon.com/SolarEpic-Remote-Display-Su...eter+MT-50

Cables

Then finally you'll need some long cables to run into the cabin as well as the tool to separate/join the cables:

https://www.amazon.com/Renogy-AK-20FT-10-Adaptor-C...nel+cables

https://www.amazon.com/Renogy-TOOL-MC4-Solar-Panel...WMR25HYGV6

That's it. It's fairly simple. And this setup will be *higher output*, *more efficient* and allow for *adaptable charge profiles* for your battery. All for less than the GoWesty kit. :D

dlb154 Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:00 am

The same MPPT charge controller with monitor can be had from eBay for a better price. This is where I purchased mine. Shipping took almost 2 weeks.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/231566692734?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Also bought 50' 10ga MC4 PV cables from this eBayer:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Pair-TEMCo-50ft-MC4-Sola...SwVupTqHEs

That ad is for the 12ga PV cable version (doesn't have the 10 ga anylonger). But the 10 awg set was $32.40 shipped in mid December from this retailer.

Edit- Maybe I lucked out on the 10awg pair in December... Here is the same retailer for the 50' 10awg and an updated ad for $144:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/191224012149?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Get the 50' 12 awg pair before he changes that ad price if it works out for your total amps. Even if you don't need 50', you can cut to length, put new MC4 connectors and have extra wires for other projects.

TheArmand Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:34 pm

DamonandtheSea, have you used that charge controller before? I'm wondering if you or someone can confirm if using an MPPT charge controller is going to cause any radio interference at all? I hear about this here and there but can't seem to find any info to confirm it on searches.

owokie Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:54 pm

I don't know that I'd call $550 (the total of your list) "far less" than $600.

I think most folks are uninterested in trying to remove VHB from their fiberglass some day down the line if/when a panel fails which is decently likely if you leave a flex panel outside with hail etc. which happens here fairly often.

This time of year I park so that the low end of the pop top faces the prevailing winds. I then hang the solar on the south side of the van and don't touch it. I bet it gives as much output in this configuration as two 100w panels on the roof (facing west) give.

Different strokes....

DamonAndTheSea Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:06 pm

TheArmand wrote: DamonandtheSea, have you used that charge controller before? I'm wondering if you or someone can confirm if using an MPPT charge controller is going to cause any radio interference at all? I hear about this here and there but can't seem to find any info to confirm it on searches.

I use the setup listed above but have the 4215bn.. which is the same MPPT controller just rated for 40amps which is probably overkill. I think doing it over I'd opt for the 2215bn. I have 300 watts of solar and 200 amp hours and I don't think I need much more.

I haven't noticed radio interference although I mostly stream audio through Spotify or Youtube ... no noise... I'm also a musician and carry lots of electronic audio gear with me and haven't noticed any RF or hum from the inverter or due to the solar setup. Be sure your grounding configuration is solid and test with a multimeter.

DamonAndTheSea Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:20 pm

owokie wrote: I don't know that I'd call $550 (the total of your list) "far less" than $600.

I think most folks are uninterested in trying to remove VHB from their fiberglass some day down the line if/when a panel fails which is decently likely if you leave a flex panel outside with hail etc. which happens here fairly often.

This time of year I park so that the low end of the pop top faces the prevailing winds. I then hang the solar on the south side of the van and don't touch it. I bet it gives as much output in this configuration as two 100w panels on the roof (facing west) give.

Different strokes....

Fair.. but the price is still under the GoWesty config and far superior IMHO... You could do 100watts with a PMW on the cheap per OregonConversion and clock in at 1/4 the cost. What I've outlined is a very robust setup and it doesn't need to be torn down or assembled each trip. Also there is no storage issue as the panels are 'stored' on top of the vehicle.

I hear you regarding VHB ... there are some concessions with a permanent install.. also routing cables into the van elegantly is no easy or fun task.

I went with a unique install on my vehicle... 2 of the 100 watt panels are installed directly on top of a Thule roof box. The flexible HQST panels makes this possible. The third panel is mounted to a couple aluminum L-beams and fasted to the adjacent side of the Thule roof box.

You can checkout the setup in the very beginning of this short little vignette I made of all of my recent upgrades:

TommyBoyGomes Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:54 pm

Hey Damon,

I have almost the same projector setup in my van (using the Asus battery powered ones). What projector are you using?

DamonAndTheSea Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:49 pm

TommyBoyGomes wrote: Hey Damon,

I have almost the same projector setup in my van (using the Asus battery powered ones). What projector are you using?

Nice! I haven't seen another in the wild... how do you like it? Of my many experiments, I've been quite happy with the projector. I have mine wired into the aux battery.

I'm using the ZTE Spro2. I *nearly* bought the Asus because it looked quite nice and was less expensive... I ended up with this unit because it runs a full OS (android 4.4 and has a built-in screen) and so I can run Netflix, Hulu, Youtube, etc.... really anything from the Play Store... which makes it very versatile (basically a modern smart phone that is a projector). It also has some convenient features like auto-focus, auto-keystone and BT audio which makes setup easy and allows me to run sound to the car stereo. I used to own a high-end Epson in my home and have been impressed by the ZTE.

E1 Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:45 pm

I have a 120-watt Zamp solar portable panel, and have used it at least 600 days on our 41-month journey so far. It has a 25-year warranty and has served us flawlessly.

The first time we ever plugged in was after 39 months of working on the road, and only because "it was there" at a campground near Savannah. I didn't even know if my shore power would work, but it did. We watched a movie during Hurricane Matthew. :shock:

A couple things worth thought:
-- per a permanent vs. a portable panel, I sure don't want to have to park in the sun to get power;
-- and I don't want it in the elements if I'm not using it, the alternator's charging for me while driving (with two 100aH AGM batteries);
-- we need the roof open for a cargo box;
-- the panel only charges at full capacity if and only if it's positioned towards the sun;
-- moving it every hour or two is not hard;
-- it travels perfectly when strapped to the rear of the passenger seat;
-- that helps balance my weight to the right;
-- I have a total of about 40' of cord, with a 25' extension if needed.

With this setup I can power a laptop, with the stereo cranking, and a 24" monitor every waking hour and still watch three movies at night if I want.

But if I could have in 2013, I may well have bought a small-folding portable like GoWesty's.