TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Beam rust
ohiowesty Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:14 pm

How much rust is too much? Should I replace the beam? Weld that completely rusted through hole? The other areas are flaking. I drove it like this for about 1k miles. Thank you

babysnakes Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:45 pm

That beam is shot! You need another one. Lets just say you can weld up the holes. There is far more rust on the inside you can not see that is ready to complicate matters more. Please be safe and get another beam.

wcfvw69 Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:04 pm

babysnakes wrote: That beam is shot! You need another one. Lets just say you can weld up the holes. There is far more rust on the inside you can not see that is ready to complicate matters more. Please be safe and get another beam.

X2

I would NOT drive that bus with that beam. There's still lots of good, non-rusted ones out there for sale in the dry SW USA.

Abscate Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:28 pm

Yeah , it's done. The problem is it has to come off to be de rusted and evaluated and once it's off, it's cheaper to put a dry one on.

Have a good look at the attachment for the swing lever. If that goes, your steering goes INOP.

It's dangerously rusted. Remove from service.

Hoody Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:13 am

That beam is totally shot. You need to find one covered in oil or one from a wrecked Bus. Do not waste your time on that beam. It's toast and will cost you or someone else their life WHEN it fails.

Wildthings Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:00 am

You need to call Busted Bus, Avery's or some other southwest or west coast wrecking yard and order yourself a replacement beam.

ToolBox Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:17 am

That beam is toast. Better call Chuck and see what is in his yard with a good beam.

1967250s Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:41 pm

Question- could those new cnc steel plates be used to replace the old side mountings if the tubes are ok? It is getting harder to find a good front beam.

SGKent Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:12 pm

Almost anything is possible with enough money and time. How much money and time do you have?

Abscate Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:01 am

There is a parts Bus that recently burned in the classifieds.

alman72 Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:06 am

Abscate wrote: There is a parts Bus that recently burned in the classifieds.
Erb has a how to video on how to do the swap :wink:

ajochum Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:02 am

Have any of you changed out a beam? Any idea how long it takes and how much a replacement costs? Are they being reproduced?

babysnakes Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:50 am

http://www.wagenswest.com/partstore/index.php/bus-...-beam.html

Scroll down to the menu "how narrow?, there is a non-narrowed option.

ajochum Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:50 am

Wow! - Guess before I make the final commitment on this bus I really need to make sure the beam is solid. I have fully restored an older frame car, but one of the sites I visited makes it pretty clear to watch for rust in specific places.
Sure affects the final purchase price,

dasdachshund Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:28 pm

ajochum wrote: Have any of you changed out a beam? Any idea how long it takes and how much a replacement costs? Are they being reproduced?

For a novice like me (never done it before) it took me a good weekend to change my beam to a WW one. The hardest part is the spindles/arms and getting them off. There are various pieces that go through the beam to deal with(cables, hoses, shift rod) I don't know what year your Bus is, '71 and above have the brake booster to fiddle with, too. I did mine after searching "beam replacement" on the Bay forum. Wasn't THAT hard.

Cost...when I did my beam I also needed new ball joints ($15/each + $80 to press out/in)and a Harbor Freight joint separator ($8 ). Oh, and I also needed new shortened steering arms (I believe ~$35 each + I shortened them myself so $20 for the tap). Other than that it's just the cost of the beam. (My adjustable beam from WW was $700 and I'm sorry, I don't recommend dealing with Nate)

Good luck with whatever you do. Personally, I'd just change the beam out with a good used one.

-dasdachshund

ohiowesty Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:06 pm

Well a fellow LEAKOIL member has a complete beam off a California parts bus, and will even install it so I am in good hands. Truthfully, after perusing the split bus threads and marveling at hoopty ride frames being welded back together, I think that my beam is salvageable, but it's not worth the effort.

Wildthings Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:12 am

Just to throw out another option there is a place in England that makes replacement suspension systems for these old rigs. They are twin wishbone setups IIRC. Never heard any feedback on them though.