TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: so my car caught fire
tjc1600 Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:06 pm

Hi everyone,
On News Years Eve my 71 fastback caught fire. I had driven maybe 800m before I smelt smoke and pulled over. Within a few minutes it burst into flames. The car is a written-off but I haven't given up hope of getting 'Old Smokey' back on the road.
I'm wondering what would have caused this fire? You can see it started in the top left but the fire brigade seemed to think it wasn't a fuel fire. I assumed it would have been seems it looks like started from the carb. I figured you guys would have a pretty good idea of how and why it started.

Volktales Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:08 pm

That sucks! Hope you can save it. How come the fire brigade didn't think it was fuel related? Most common causes are fuel hoses rotting or spigots falling out of the carbs or pumps these days...

Notch Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:02 pm

So sorry to see that. Post pictures of the fuel pump - did fittings fall out? Same thing for the carbs. Did you have a fuel filter in the engine compartment? Maybe if you could post some before pictures someone might see something. What was on firwe when you fist pulled the engine cover off?
Sorry,
Doug

tjc1600 Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:29 pm

I'm not sure why they thought it wasn't a fuel fire. I don't think they had seen an engine like this before so I really think they got that wrong. He sounded very unsure when he said it. The guy who was on the hose was more interested in talking to me about the car. He was telling me how amazing he thought it looked... then he smashed the back windscreen and hosed down the interior for 20 mins!

I couldn't really see what was on fire when i first opened it, there was way too much smoke. It looked to be coming from behind the left carb, right below where all the broken glass is. I did notice dripping fire when I stood back so that had to be fuel right? you can kind of see it in the photo. Luckily I was running low and on the way to fill up.

I'll get some more pics up tomorrow, unfortunately there's a storm at the moment so I can't get any photos just now. Thanks for the replies.

tjc1600 Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:10 am

This is where I think the fire started. Was where the first flames I saw were coming from

tjc1600 Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:13 am

I found it under the pump but I suspect it may have been the fire hose that blasted it out.

MonT3 Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:22 am

Man, sorry your fasty flamed. I had a similar experience and was able to buy some to time to save it from certain doom. The source of my fire was the fuel inlet valve (small fitting that the fuel hose inserts onto) which came loose. By the looks of your carb, that's where I believe it started and fuel went everywhere while you were driving. That carb took a beating while the hose was loose. That flame could have just ran to the pump and all over.

Be glad you are ok and if you had anyone on the car with you they are ok as well.

The car can be given new life

sjbartnik Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:14 am

That "top left" area you cite in the photos is where the fuel line comes in through the tin.

There should be a metal fuel line passing through a rubber grommet which is in the hole in the tin.

The rubber grommet with age often breaks down or falls out, in which case you have the tin slowly hacksawing through the metal fuel line with engine vibration.

Alternatively, sometimes the metal fuel line is replaced by rubber hose which the tin has a much easier time slicing through.

It's a good idea to inspect and renew that grommet as necessary when you're inspecting and renewing your fuel hoses.

I'm sorry about your car :cry:

KTPhil Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:53 am

What a drag! With the FI cars there are SO MANY connections and chances for leaks. But this is a reminder that the carb cars have their Achilles heel, too.

Makes me want to move my extinguisher from the frunk to the passenger compartment. Worries passengers, though!

I hope you can bring yours back. It looks like a fine car.

W1K1 Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:40 pm

there is always something like the blazecut that will kill the fire pretty quick.

I have had the brass tubes pull out of carbs before :shock: luckily while I was checking fuel lines, not while driving

tjc1600 Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:47 pm

Thanks guys! So I guess we can say that it was definitely fuel related then?

I'll have a good look today and see if it was the fuel line that got 'hacksawed'.
As far as getting the car back on the road goes, are there any parts of the engine wouldn't have been compromised? Should I be ditching the whole thing or are there parts that I can salvage from this one? The other carb seems to have missed the action but should I still ditch it?

I'm very much a novice when it comes to engines so it's going to be a long journey to get this guy up and running again but I'll enjoy doing it.

MonT3 Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:03 pm

At the bottom of page 6 of my 67 build thread (signature block), you can see the damage to my square and what I did to moving forward.
The car can be saved but you'll have to assess the level of damage. Is there more damage to the engine that could be internal? Was the back or the inside seat area and any other parts such as the suspension, transmission, axle, .etc affected?

My recommendation is if going with carbs, stock or other, thread carb top and barb the inlet valve. It took me a bit for my fire to sink in and eventually put a plan together on how I was going to tackle what had happened. Don't rush into your decision. You'll bounce back.

Bobnotch Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:16 pm

tjc1600 wrote: Thanks guys! So I guess we can say that it was definitely fuel related then?

I'll have a good look today and see if it was the fuel line that got 'hacksawed'.
As far as getting the car back on the road goes, are there any parts of the engine wouldn't have been compromised? Should I be ditching the whole thing or are there parts that I can salvage from this one? The other carb seems to have missed the action but should I still ditch it?

I'm very much a novice when it comes to engines so it's going to be a long journey to get this guy up and running again but I'll enjoy doing it.
It doesn't look too bad to me. Fixable yes.
From the looks of things, you'll need a new (used) left carb, cap, rotor, plug wires, fuel pump, about 5 to 10 feet of hose (with clamps) and some wire (different colors) to replace what was burnt. I'd have the generator checked out, and possibly rebuilt while it's out. A can of paint for the engine tin, after sanding the rust off to keep it from rusting again. Otherwise, it should still be good to go. You might have a hard time finding a rear window, since you're "down under", but you'll want 1 of those and a seal to go with it. Depending on what was damaged inside, you might need to replace some of that too (more likely a headliner at minimum). I hope this helps.

DHanna Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:05 pm

W1K1 wrote: there is always something like the blazecut that will kill the fire pretty quick.

I have had the brass tubes pull out of carbs before :shock: luckily while I was checking fuel lines, not while driving

This is how I fixed any problems with the brass fittings coming out of the carbs and fuel pump. Tap M7 x 1 and screw in new threaded brass fittings. No they aren't a commercial item but maybe someone in the VW parts industry over there should think of supplying something like this. Prevents that source of fire. Alternatively always safety wire the clamps to the carb/pump body.

DHanna Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:12 pm

tjc1600 wrote: Hi everyone,
On News Years Eve my 71 fastback caught fire. I had driven maybe 800m before I smelt smoke and pulled over. Within a few minutes it burst into flames. The car is a written-off but I haven't given up hope of getting 'Old Smokey' back on the road.

Just noticed you are only 900km down the road from me (North Richmond NSW)! When you get some carbs for the rebuild let me know if you want some of the screwed in brass tubes. Quite happy to make some for you.

DH

tjc1600 Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:25 am

Thanks DH! Absolute legend. It will take me a while but I'll send you a message when I get to that stage. Thanks so much!

Sjbartnik, I found that hole. No grommet to be seen but it would have melted even if it was there I guess. The fuel line was rubber and was broken at that exact spot, I can't tell if it had just melted back to there or if it was sliced by the metal.

MonT3 - Thanks, very helpful info. I'll get someone who knows what they're doing to give it a good look over before I start.

Bobnotch - Great list, it really gives me an idea of where to start and how much it's going to cost, I really appreciate it. I actually found a back window a couple of days ago at a wrecker for $50. The inside of the car isn't great, I'll need to replace the back seat and headliner. Interestingly the back seat belts are fine but the drivers one is cooked. I'll replace them all anyway. I've heard the smell can be hard to get rid of.

Pierre G Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:38 am

So sad to see a fastback burning ! :( Fix it ! She deserves it.

drummerboycr Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:41 pm

Wow!. Sorry men. I hope you can fix.

Bobnotch Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:32 pm

tjc1600 wrote:
Bobnotch - Great list, it really gives me an idea of where to start and how much it's going to cost, I really appreciate it. I actually found a back window a couple of days ago at a wrecker for $50. The inside of the car isn't great, I'll need to replace the back seat and headliner. Interestingly the back seat belts are fine but the drivers one is cooked. I'll replace them all anyway. I've heard the smell can be hard to get rid of.

You'll find that after pulling the rear seat and headliner, then getting some primer and paint on it, the smell should go away. I've gotten rid of mouse smell just by using epoxy primer inside small areas, and that's a smell that doesn't want to leave (it even covers up moth ball smell too).

Voncrack Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:57 am

brings a little tear to my eye, Sad to see a local Melbourne fasty up in smoke :(